Just kill me now

Jun 18, 2017
Middleburg, FL
We have a Summer Escapes 14' x 42" frame pool. It has probably cost us double than what we paid for it, but its still worth it.

The problem is that the water here is very hard to maintain. We had to empty and refill twice. The second time we started up with a SWG. The pool was clearer than I've ever seen it for about a week. Then the nor'easter and Irma blew thorough. Had to vacuum and remove debris, water was a tad cloudy (still clearer than without the SWG) As instructed with the SWG, I used the boost feature to "shock" the pool after heavy rainstorms. Less cloudy, but not as clear what I knew it could be. Yesterday it was a clear green, today its cloudy/milky green, can't even see the first step. The filter sounded funny so I checked the cartridge and it was slimy green, and creating so much suction I had to wrestle it out. Consequently, the SWG was sleeping due to low flow volume. (At least that's my guess. It should have been running at that time.)

I have to change the cartridge every other day, I rinse them out to the best of my ability. I did buy a Unicel cartridge, it arrived Saturday, I was hoping the pool would clear a little before I put the new cartridge in. Hindsight, should have installed it immediately. It doesn't fit great with the pump, but the skimmer basket holds it in place pretty well. Until the green, water chemistry was fine.
So I'm wondering, what more can I do? I am not going to empty it again, the process costs too much. (rental of sump pump, water cost - don't get me started about the rental. Not my choice.)
I was thinking that upgrading to a sand filter might help, but researching online leads me to believe that might not. I saw something about "filter socks", but not quite sure if that would help either.
The pump is a Summer Waves SFX1500 (1500 GPH), the pool is about 3500 gallons. SWG is for pools up to 7000 gallons and 700-3000 GPH.

Hoping someone on here can help before I give up. The family LOVES the pool and as parents, its great to tell the kids to just go get in the pool before we lose our minds. The added quiet this year has been amazing.

We have a Summer Escapes 14' x 42" frame pool. It has probably cost us double than what we paid for it, but its still worth it.

The problem is that the water here is very hard to maintain. We had to empty and refill twice. The second time we started up with a SWG. The pool was clearer than I've ever seen it for about a week. Then the nor'easter and Irma blew thorough. Had to vacuum and remove debris, water was a tad cloudy (still clearer than without the SWG) As instructed with the SWG, I used the boost feature to "shock" the pool after heavy rainstorms. Less cloudy, but not as clear what I knew it could be. Yesterday it was a clear green, today its cloudy/milky green, can't even see the first step. The filter sounded funny so I checked the cartridge and it was slimy green, and creating so much suction I had to wrestle it out. Consequently, the SWG was sleeping due to low flow volume. (At least that's my guess. It should have been running at that time.)

I have to change the cartridge every other day, I rinse them out to the best of my ability. I did buy a Unicel cartridge, it arrived Saturday, I was hoping the pool would clear a little before I put the new cartridge in. Hindsight, should have installed it immediately. It doesn't fit great with the pump, but the skimmer basket holds it in place pretty well. Until the green, water chemistry was fine.
So I'm wondering, what more can I do? I am not going to empty it again, the process costs too much. (rental of sump pump, water cost - don't get me started about the rental. Not my choice.)
I was thinking that upgrading to a sand filter might help, but researching online leads me to believe that might not. I saw something about "filter socks", but not quite sure if that would help either.
The pump is a Summer Waves SFX1500 (1500 GPH), the pool is about 3500 gallons. SWG is for pools up to 7000 gallons and 700-3000 GPH.

Hoping someone on here can help before I give up. The family LOVES the pool and as parents, its great to tell the kids to just go get in the pool before we lose our minds. The added quiet this year has been amazing.
Algae is a chemistry problem, not a filter issue.

How are you testing the water? Are you following the 'Guide to seasonal/temporary pools'?

https://www.troublefreepool.com/content/155-guide-for-seasonal-temporary-pools

Algae is a chemistry problem, not a filter issue.

How are you testing the water? Are you following the 'Guide to seasonal/temporary pools'?

I've used both test strips and a 6 way test kit. Followed all pool math calculations.

My thought about it being a filter issue was that if the filter is being clogged, the low suction doesn't allow the water to flow through the SWG, therefore not allowing the SWG to do its job. I didn't know if a more powerful pump or a sand filter would alter the outcome.

BlueSky,

To accomplish the goal in the title of your post, I would have to dispatch TFP's "Professional Hit Team," but they are pretty expensive, rather messy, and the price does not include getting rid of the body... :shark:

It would be much cheaper for you to follow the guidance set forth in our Pool School, so that you can understand why algae is a chemistry issue and not a filter issue..

See this link.... Pool School - Pool School

Thanks for posting and let me know if you are still interested in option one.. :p

Jim R.

If you want to run this as a small seasonal pool, the answer is to dump the water. If you want a more permanent solution then a better test kit is going to be required. Adding an SWG does not make problems go away, it only produces chlorine so you don't have to add it manually. It is not "set it and forget it", just a different source of chlorine.

Once the pool is green you cannot rely on an SWG for chlorination, you have to SLAM Process the pool (which requires a TF-100 or Taylor k2006), or drain the pool and start fresh.

We cannot stress this enough: algae is a chemistry problem. 100% of the time.

I fought multiple algae blooms every year, typically after heavy rains and the pool went used for many days. This was using the Intex supplied pump and filters. I then switched to a pump/sand filter combo and just the increased flow and water turnover helped, but still had some algae. At the time I was using the color test for pH and chlorine and now realize that I mostly never had enough chlorine.

Finally I added a SWG and moved up to a DPD test for chlorine and have had maybe one or two algae issues since switching to salt water in 2011, and that was when the cell stopped working. The SWG was the not fix, but did help ensure a more stable chlorine residual since it adds every day automatically and I don't go out and find an empty chlorine floater because I forgot to refill.

Moral of the story is, if you have enough chlorine and enough circulation to turnover all the water, algae will not occur.

Moral of the story is, if you have enough chlorine and enough circulation to turnover all the water, algae will not occur.

I was just going to mention this. If you follow TFP protocol and are still having issues, then most of the time, this leads to circulation issues. When I see posts like these, the first thing that comes to mind is that this is an AGP. Brushing is essential as there are limited returns in the pool, let alone only one skimmer and no main drain. I also recommend the rotating return jets for this reason as they work.

My friend who has a 20*35 rectangular IG pool (now sold) had one return and main drain/skimmer. If the pool was not brushed daily, no matter how perfect his levels were, algae would start forming in all different spots. The steps (pull out) were always a culprit as this year, the pool went from crystal clear to cloudy and then to almost a green swamp. It took 10 days to clear this up because of the pool set up.

The new pool that will be built will have a minimum of 4 returns, if not 6 + the steps depending on the size. The PB, who is very reputable still only installs 3 in the pool.

Guys I think he's saying that his filter clogs up, restricting flow. Now his SWG isn't turning on because of "Low Flow".
Yes. Because the pool is green. And so to solve the problem the pool must be taken from a green state to a clear state. To do this the water must either be cleared via chemical means (SLAM) or mechanical means (drain and replace). Replacing the filter will not correct this problem as an SWG cannot produce chlorine fast enough to kill algae. Once the pool is clear the flow will return to normal and the SWG will operate normally.

Algae is clogging it. When it comes down to it, he's got a chemistry issue. Now that there is algae, its going to be harder to filter the water with an Intex cart filter/pump.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hi Bluesky, welcome to TFP! Before Irma it sounds like the SWG was ok but not spectacular. You may have had some water balance issues but were able to get by. Irma dumps a bunch of debris and probably got rid of a good portion of your salt and CYA. You don't mention if you had tried to re-balance those levels to get the pool going again. A better filter will help keep the pool cleaner once it is free of algae, but no filter will be able to eliminate live algae faster than it grows!

In order to clear your pool you need to kill the algae. We recommend using the SLAM Process process. In order to complete the slam process you need a FAS/DPD test kit that will test the high levels of chlorine needed to clear the pool. We recommend the TF100 or the Taylor K2006. When you are conducting the slam process you will be testing and adding liquid chlorine frequently as often as every hour the first day, so it is best to start on a weekend or when you have a couple of days off. You will also need lots of liquid chlorine either from the pool supplies aisle, or plain, unscented 8% bleach from the grocery store. Daily brushing and vacuuming the pool, as well as cleaning the filter when needed are also part of the slam process.

Once the slam is complete and the pool is clear, you can re-balance the chemicals and get the SWG back online. Then we can help you learn how to keep the pool clear if you want.

I was just going to mention this. If you follow TFP protocol and are still having issues, then most of the time, this leads to circulation issues. When I see posts like these, the first thing that comes to mind is that this is an AGP. Brushing is essential as there are limited returns in the pool, let alone only one skimmer and no main drain. I also recommend the rotating return jets for this reason as they work.

I can attest to the potential for poor circulation in an AGP. While we were all swimming, the water stayed nice and mixed. We had a cold spell and the water temp dropped to 72. We didn't swim for 2weeks with the cover on full time. Pump running LS 24/7, but I didn't brush either. A couple of small algae spots developed alone the edge even with FC of 7 @ CYA of 40. Main body of pool and water was crystal clear. My measurement spot was within 5 ft of the algae. I performed a SLAM and brushed/vacuumed. Never failed the OCLT even with the visible algae there that morning. Yes, it can happen.

I can attest to the potential for poor circulation in an AGP.

...and that's what it was. I knew once all my chemistry was in balance and the pool was still a little cloudy, the only thing left was the filter and/or circulation. Installed a 2800 GPH sand filter. Once everything was set up and running smoothly we turned it on and let it do its job. I really wish I had taken before and after pictures, because in two hours my pool was super clear. I shudder to think everything I could have avoided if we had just upgraded the filter weeks ago.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.