Hurricane Harvey

Jun 14, 2017
North Padre Island
Hurricane Harvey had his way with my pool. It was filled with untold amounts of debris and is now black after three weeks with no power. I drained the pool today with the pump to waste.

I don't want to make a misstep.

Is my plaster too new to be without water and for how long?

Should I leave some water in there to keep the whole pool from floating up?

Should I be pressure washing?

I need solid advice right away please.

Do not drain all the way. Leave about a foot in the shallow in. I don't know your water table so best ti error on the safe side and you do not want that new plaster to be without water.

SLAM is the way to clear it up with LOTS of brushing.

So sorry this happened.:(

The whole pool is four feet deep all the way across, except for the 9 inch end. You can hand dig a well here on the island so floating the pool is possible.

I desperately need a step by step guide. My brain is not working right now. Too many things going on. I need maximum help PLEASE!

Okay here we go:

-Take the pump out of the pool if you have not already.

-put water back in the pool asap

-Test and adjust the PH to 7.2

-add chlorine to water

-brush the pool

DId you end up leaving any water in the pool?

When the pool is full and PH is adjusted to 7.2 start the SLAM.

M=maintain as in maintain the FC at SLAM level for your CYA--------oh CYA IF you drained the whole pool you will have none so add enough to get it to 30 to protect your FC from the sun.

Let me know how it goes. :hug:

I used the pool pump set to waste to drain the pool. I left about a foot of water in it. But I just now remembered to check the thread. Do I really need to go back over there and start filling the pool? Should I completely drain the pool to get the mud and stuff out first? Can my sand filter handle this mess if I don't? How do I know there's no glass in the bottom? This was a class 4 hurricane! The seawater was six feet high inside the pump house. So it's safe to say the conditioner's gone.

You need to keep water in the pool so it doesn't float. If there is a thick layer of mud on the bottom rent a trash pump and use it to vacuum out the debris. You will need to keep the water re-filling the pool while you pump, so it may be a series of pumping out muck and refilling the pool until all the muck is gone.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.