new fill, questions on chemistry balancing

Sep 15, 2017
Madison, WI
Good morning, new to the site but been lurking for a while learning about chemistry.

I purchased a new 175 gallon tub and plan to run bromine. I purchased and am testing with a Taylor K-2106 bromine drop kit.

I did my first fill this morning and my numbers are ...
Water temp 55 degrees
CH 320
TA 340
PH 7.2

I haven't started my bromine reserve\sanitizer yet.

I filled from a hose (well water and unsoftened) and used a pre-filter to filter out as many metals as possible.

I will re-test when water temp comes up a bit.

I read\re-read Nitros chemistry posts for tub but have a question.

My PH is 7.2 but TA is pretty high at 320. Since my PH is fairly acceptable do I bother trying to drop TA to ~100 range which would push my PH even lower? It seems like I might have to add lots of acid to drop TA to ~100. Do my current numbers seem to balanced given my PH stays at 7.2 or above?

Thank you for any advice you can provide.
macejh1

Given the high TA and low pH, as soon as you turn on the aeration in the spa, you're going to see the pH rise rapidly. You can go ahead and add your sodium bromide to build up the reserve and use bleach to activate it. But you're going to want to test and adjust pH every day (maybe twice per day) until your alkalinity goes down. If you can keep your heater off for a while that would be good. Your water has very high TA and CH and you can easily scale calcium out in the heater. I would not let your pH get above 7.5/7.6 until the TA comes down below 150.

Use Pool Math to calculate the amounts of acid needed for your tub volume and it keep aerating and adding acid until the TA comes down.

Thank you very much for your reply. I measured again this afternoon and did find higher PH so started adding Muratic Acid with Jets\blower on full. After a few rounds, I'm seeing some success at lowering TA.

currently...
75 degrees
7.8 PH
225 TA

I will start adding my reserve and bleach, thanks for the letting me know I can do that before my balance is good. Unfortunately my heater was going all day long, hope I didn't do too much scaling.

Thanks for the reply again!

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you very much for your reply. I measured again this afternoon and did find higher PH so started adding Muratic Acid with Jets\blower on full. After a few rounds, I'm seeing some success at lowering TA.

currently...
75 degrees
7.8 PH
225 TA

I will start adding my reserve and bleach, thanks for the letting me know I can do that before my balance is good. Unfortunately my heater was going all day long, hope I didn't do too much scaling.

Thanks for the reply again!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.