Spa Drain Valve?

rob.mwpropane

In The Industry
Jun 9, 2015
Baldwin, Maryland
I have a spa drain valve that doesn't leak but the "check valve" part won't remain open? I can stick a wire into it to force the check valve open, but as soon as I pull the wire out it slams shut....and this is with the recessed piece pulled out as to drain the spa? I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong? Did it get damaged somehow?

I'm not the first owner and I'm just wondering if I'm doing something wrong, or is it broken somehow on the inside?

A check valve will only open in one direction and will only open when the pump is forcing water through it. They are not meant to stay open without water flow.

A check valve will only open in one direction and will only open when the pump is forcing water through it. They are not meant to stay open without water flow.

Maybe your misunderstanding (because I'm wording it wrong). This is the valve at the bottom to drain the spa when everything is off. A garden hose connects to it and when I pull it slides out and I believe water is supposed to freely flow from the tub. My issue is, that there is a "stopper" that slams as soon as I do so. I can stick a finger / wire / stick up there and feel it push open and water will freely flow, but as soon as I let off it closes again.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.