Keeping my new liner NEW

We are the proud owners of a newly lined pool!I have a couple of questions.

How do I prevent bleaching? My last liner bleached in spots in my pre-TFP days due to granular chlorine products (One hot summer I could NOT get the chlorine level up no matter what I did, so I dumped in lots of granulated shock on a regular basis) The contractor said to "take it easy" on the chlorine, and actually only added 2 gallons of liquid chlorine to the freshly added water. Yikes! The liner is fairly dark.

Also-bugs! The thinking in this area is that insects do damage your liner. I did have the bottom treated with bug spray, hated dumping those chemicals in the ground but really don't want to pay for new liners frequently. Do any of you treat the area around the pool to prevent damage? We do have quite a few ants around, so I have considered treating the area around the pool with something to prevent ants.

I'll need to post pics next summer, just had the deck stained, new liner-should be a great summer next year!:thumleft:

If you follow TFP guidelines for testing and treating your water you should never have to worry about bleaching your liner. It will fade over time but there is nothing you can do about that.

As for ants and bugs I will spray around the perimeter of the pool with insect killer once or twice a year and put outdoor ant bait traps in the area to stop them from coming back after spraying. I try to limit the areas treated to just those that need it, I don't really care for using insecticide over my entire property.

We are the proud owners of a newly lined pool!I have a couple of questions.

How do I prevent bleaching? My last liner bleached in spots in my pre-TFP days due to granular chlorine products (One hot summer I could NOT get the chlorine level up no matter what I did, so I dumped in lots of granulated shock on a regular basis) The contractor said to "take it easy" on the chlorine, and actually only added 2 gallons of liquid chlorine to the freshly added water. Yikes! The liner is fairly dark.

Also-bugs! The thinking in this area is that insects do damage your liner. I did have the bottom treated with bug spray, hated dumping those chemicals in the ground but really don't want to pay for new liners frequently. Do any of you treat the area around the pool to prevent damage? We do have quite a few ants around, so I have considered treating the area around the pool with something to prevent ants.

Welcome to new pool ownership with TFP!
We are not far from you and have never had damage to our liner due to bugs so I hope things work well for you. Using an insecticide could help, around the pool. We have had ants in our paver deck but that did not affect the pool or liner.

- - - Updated - - -

Pour in your bleach very slowly in front of the return while the pump is ON so it spreads out over the pool. Don't pour it when the pump is off.

I agree. Only time I bleached our pool was when I put in high concentrations in one area.
Hope this helps.

Your liner is going to fade - there is nothing you can do about it - sun and chlorine will fade it. The best you can do is make sure it fades evenly. To that end, keep things off the bottom of the pool, and make sure any bleach you add gets circulated well.

I have a ladder mat under my pool stairs. It is amazing how unfaded the liner is under the mat when I take it out for the winter. The liner looks good, but it looks REALLY good under that mat. Keep things like toys and leaves off the bottom of your pool. Covering the pool (solar cover) couldn't hurt to protect from UV fade either. Seeing as you are in Michigan, it may almost be necessary.

-dave

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.