Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Can a Solar heater cool a pool at night?

1. Back To Top    #1

Can a Solar heater cool a pool at night?

So, living in Texas, the pool can get a bit hot.

Soooo, I changed the pump times from the day to the night. My question is if the solar panels could remove some of the heat during the "Cooler" temps of the night. I can easily pump the water (i'm guessing 92ish in temp) thru the solar panel at night which I would hope "vent" some of the heat out of the water since the temps do go down to about 75 at night here... any thoughts?
    10,000 gallon in-ground pool, Jandy AquaPure 1400 SWG, Jandy Purelink Water Purification System, AquaLink RS Pool Digital Assistant, Jandy Stealth Series Pumps, Polaris 380, 3/4 hp booster pump, DE Filter, Lucayan Blue River Rok aggregate innerds

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Can a Solar heater cool a pool at night?

Yes it will work, if the outside temp is lower and there is no sun. This is basically why there are automatic valves to control solar systems, there are 2 temperature sensors one of the pool and one near the panels if it's not beneficial to send water to the solar panels it won't open the valve to the solar panel.
    -Kevin
    X-Pert Pool Service
    x-pertpool.com
    X-Pert Pool on Facebook and @XPertPoolServic on Twitter
    22,000 gal / 16' x 32' / Vinyl / Hayward s244t /Pentair SuperFlo 1 hp

3. Back To Top    #3

Which in practice makes this difficult to do if you have an automatic system. You'd have to disable the automatic system force the valves to flow through the solar panels.
    My Pool:
    12K gal IG gunite with 7' raised spa, gunite waterfall, PebbleTec Caribbean Blue finish, solar heating & in-floor cleaning system

Equipment: Sta-Rite 300' Cartridge Filter, Intellichlor IC20 SWCG, Sta-Rite 400k BTU heater, Intelliflow 4x160 main pump & Sta-Rite 3/4 hp waterfall pump, EasyTouch controlls w/ wireless controller, TF-100 Test Kit w/ salt test.

4. Back To Top    #4

Good, I think I will do this some and post my results.

Thanks guys!
    10,000 gallon in-ground pool, Jandy AquaPure 1400 SWG, Jandy Purelink Water Purification System, AquaLink RS Pool Digital Assistant, Jandy Stealth Series Pumps, Polaris 380, 3/4 hp booster pump, DE Filter, Lucayan Blue River Rok aggregate innerds