Town water vs truck for first fill?

awstevens

Bronze Supporter
Aug 18, 2016
MA
Our pool is currently being built and should be ready to fill in the next 2-3 weeks. The pool is ~28,000 gallon IG vinyl pool. We aren't planning to use it this year but I assume the builder will fill it to normal level to test everything before lowering the water for winter. Are we better off trucking in water or just using the hose? Is trucked water pre-treated/cleaner or is it essentially the same as town water? Should I order a test kit now and test my tap water even though we'll be closing it right after they're done?

In terms of cost we're on town water but don't pay for sewer so the cost to fill would only be about $350 using the hose vs about $900 for 3 truckloads.

I would get a good test kit and find out the quality of your fill water at home first. If you expect problems with your tap water then try and test the water to be delivered before you decide. You would be smart not to assume anything at this point because you can have this information verified by your own testing for very little $$. Also your local government may have the municipal water test results for you to review and this would list the metals in the water.

Pool School - Test Kits Compared

PB said we can do either but the truck is definitely the more expensive option. I estimate about $375 for town water vs $900 (3 loads at $300 per) for the truck. I tested my tap water out of the hose today. This was my first time doing these tests so let me know if anything is way out of whack.

FC: 1.5
CC: 0.5
pH: 8.2 (maybe a bit higher?)
TA: 40
CH: 125

Turn on the tap and fill her up.

The pH is high so bring it down to 7.5, use pool math to get a good estimate of how much acid to add relative to the concentration you are using. You should be able to estimate with the acid demand test in your TF100 also.

You're going to be the first to jump in right after it's filled right?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The "pool water" trucks get their water from fire hydrants. They have a special permit to do this and an inline meter so the water is paid for. The only advantage to the pool water is your pool will be filled quicker. My pool took around 36 hours to fill using 2 hoses. Go to Home Depot and get a 3/4" hose and tie a rag to the end of it. The plaster guys usually do this.

We're on a tiered system as well, albeit, much cheaper. Rates here. Seems like everything in the northeast is expensive!

Technically I'm on a well now :eek: but I used to be on that pricing system.

Indeed it is! Our water is $9.07 per 1000 for 0-10,000 gallons, $13.31 for 10k-22.5k and $18.14 for 22.5k and up. In the unlikely event our liner gets installed this week I could split the fill between 2 quarters which would save me a little bit.

The good news is the PB installed the liner today and started filling the pool. The bad news is the water was brown and is apparently full of iron. Our water in the house hasn't been brown so not sure what the issue is. The only thing I can think of is the town did work on the water main right in front of our house last week and may have disturbed things.

The PB said iron is very difficult to get out so we decided to stop filling it. They are going to pump out what's already there and have two truckloads of water delivered tomorrow morning.

This may be a temporary condition due to the work on our water main but if we do have high iron in our water what's the best way to proceed going forward? I'm fine with truck water for the initial fill but it's obviously not practical to do that every time we need to top it off. Do I need something like this? METALTRAP FILTERS (available in 3 sizes) | Hydropure Technologies

Thanks that looks like a good solution and less expensive than the MetalTrap filters. For what it's worth, the town tested our water today and found the iron level to be very low so hopefully it was a fluke condition.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.