New Pool Owners - Need assistance

High TA has no direct effect on water quality. If TA is too high, it tends to cause the PH to rise quick, and high PH can be a problem. High TA levels also contribute to high calcium saturation. If PH and CH are also high you can have calcium scaling.

Some people with TA levels around 400, or higher, have perfectly wonderful water. Of course, they do have to keep a very close eye on their PH, and keep it quite low, to avoid trouble.

Today's numbers:

FC: 6 (was 4)
CC: 0.5 (steady)
TC: 6.5 (was 4.5)
pH: 7.5 (continues to be rock steady)
CYA: 45-50 (steady)
Temp: 78 deg

:-D Happy with numbers so far! :-D And the pool is sparkling clear! We swim every day.

So should I try to lower the T/A or should I leave it? :?: :?:
Won't add any chlorine today since the FC is right on target, right? :?: :?:

When I checked the CH about week/half ago it was 150-160.

Have I got this right??
Thanks everyone!! You are greatly appreciated! :whoot: :goodjob: :party: :wave:

Thanks so much Butterfly!!

Today's numbers:
Temp: 79 deg
FC: 3.5 (was 6) Did not add anything yesterday
CC: 0 (was 0.5)
TC: 3.5 (was 6.5)
pH: 7.5 (still rock solid)
T/A: DNT
CH: DNT
CYA: assuming to still be 50 DNT

All is going well. I vacuumed last night... skimmed too and today it is beautiful!!! SPARKLING!!! You all are amazing!

I am going to add 50oz of 12% tonight looking for a 3.6 increase to get us to about 7 FC. Been very sunny and will be again tomorrow.

Here's a question... We have a Softub. Used to use BaquaSpa. Always HATED it! Now I see the BaquaGoo from the BaquaPool peeps use on here and can understand why I hated it. JUST found out that it is not recommended to use BaquaSpa if you keep the spa indoors due to health concerns from inhaling the mist - WHAT??? We have had this freakin' thing for 14+ years and NOT ONE notice from the flippin' manufacturer!!! :rant: :grrrr:

So... Here's what I am wondering... we tried to convert to a chlorine solution previously from the pool store we bought it from. DH and DD both got folliculitis (looked like chickenpox but wasn't) :( I had no problem. Is this because we had something off in the water or too much stabilizer or something? Is there a way to convert to chlorine, use the TF100 Test Kit and not get this issue with them?? :?: :?: How would I go about it if we decided to try it again with chlorine when we fire it up in Sept again?

TFP ROCKS!!! Thanks again for all the assistance.

Skin reactions are usually caused by CC. If you maintain the spa correctly you can keep CC very close to zero and there shouldn't be any problems. There is a very very small chance that the reaction was to chlorine, but CC is far more likely. You might also want to look into using bromine, which is simpler to use with a spa.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.