New Pool Owners - Need assistance

Good to know, Thanks Reebok.

So I can also assume that... a reading of 35... could also be 45... or if I added it thru filter - as I did - I can assume it is MINUS 10ppm not PLUS 10ppm ?

Just added borax and am going to enjoy the sparkling beautiful water for the first time today since we had it put in a week ago. mHey, why should the kids have all the fun!!

Have a FABULOUS day everyone. Feel free to chime in if I am wrong or you have 2 cents to add.

:wave:

Hoping to get some quick answers... Trying to get inital balancing of water on new pool install. Converting to BBB from Bioguard Smart Sticks.

Temp: 78 deg (previous 73)
FC: 25 (Previous 2)
CC: 0 (Previous 0.5)
TC: 25 (Previous 2.5)
pH: 7.4 (Previous 7.5)
CYA: 50 (Previous 35)

ok... I added 25 oz more CYA via sock method yesterday after filter method failed to raise it above 35. Then, since in the morning yesterday I got a TC of 2.5 and it was VERY sunny all day, I added 3 gals of 6% bleach at 7pm. Now I am getting a CYA of 50 and TC of 25. :shock: :shock: :shock: Do I need to now get these numbers down at all and if so HOW?? :?: :?: ALSO... IS THIS A DANGEROUS CHLORINE LEVEL FOR PEOPLE SWIMMING, IF SO, HOW LONG DO WE HAVE TO WAIT TO GET BACK IN? :?: :?:

OYE... Balancing act... this is not easy.

Thanks for all your help!!

We have the same size pool, but I'm pretty sure our gallonage is about 13,500.

You need to slow down, and have some POP. CYA takes 5-7 days to fully dissolve and register on tests. In your rush to raise the level you've likely added too much...I estimate your CYA is at least 60 based on what you have added, although its a little unclear exactly how much added. It could end up being higher. Retest in a week, and if it's higher than 60 you will want to drain some out.

You are at "shock" level for a CYA of 60. Its high, but swimmable.

I think you dosed too high because you are not being careful with your calculations.

6% bleach does not come in "gallons" it comes in 96 oz containers and 182 oz containers. So pay attention to the selections on the drop down menus for the Pool Calc and make sure you are calculating correctly. Making these kind of mistakes, especially with pool chems, could cause a lot of problems.

So slow down, and post FIRST if you want confirmation on what to add.

SO... I should just leave everything alone for the rest of the week and test this next weekend and see where we are at or drain some and replace with water so we arent too high? Or should I keep adding chlorine? (yes, I meant I added 2-182 oz jugs of 6% I added, not 3 gallons... sorry)

I am not a rocket scientist and this seems so complicated even with the fabulous info in pool school.

Sorry to be such a pain :oops: :? I appreciate your help... What is POP, BTW?

I know it can be overwhelming, its ALOT of information to try and absorb quickly. Just slow down a little, and post back for clarification any time. :wink:

No, do not leave everything for the rest of the week. You still have to test FC/PH daily.

You should not try and adjust CYA for a week, let what you have added dissolve and register. If it's higher than 60 you can drain some water out and replace with fresh. We'll tell you how much, if and when the time comes.

Chlorine and PH should be tested daily. Ph higher than 7.8 should be lowered to 7.4. Ph lower than 7.2 should be raised to 7.6. (Ph should not be adjusted when chlorine is above 10, as it reads a "false-high".) Hopefully yours will be steady.

Keep your FC levels according to the CYA chart. I believe, based on what you listed, that you have at least a CYA of 60. So look at the chart - those are your "min", your "target" and your "shock". You don't need to add any more chlorine today, but you should test in the morning and make sure your chlorine is still at least 7. This will keep you above 5 by the end of the day. Tomorrow evening, test again, if you are still above 7 you don't need to add more.

Each night you test, and add enough bleach to reach 7. So in the pool calc you enter the current test result into the "now" box. In the "target" box you enter 7. Hit calculate and it tells you how much bleach that is. If you find one evening, that you are below 5, raise your target to 8. See if that keeps you above 5 the next evening when you test again. I hope this makes sense....

You do this every evening, and the nightly bleach additions keep you above 5 at all times, which prevents algae.

Does this make sense? :wink:

yes, makes sense... Thank you so much for your time.

I think I am just paranoid of the green "death" :mrgreen: Ewwww. I swim in nothing that isnt crystal clear and smells gloriously like chlorox bleach LOL My hubby and daughter will swim in almost anything-yuck.

I will test every evening when I get home from work (5pm) and adjust FC to keep at least 7 then test CYA level on Sat to see where we are at there. We have storms/rain coming this week too which may help-we will have to drain some this week if it gets too high again like it did last weekend.

I will post results of FC/CC/TC and pH every day, as well as what I will add for chlorine (and borax, if needed) prior to adding to get clarification so I can learn the correct ways to calculate.

Again... thank you SO much for your patience and reassurance that we can do this. YOU ROCK FrustratedPoolMom :goodjob: :party:

Hi Frustratedpoolmom!

Well I made one mistake yesterday... I forgot to multiply by 0.5 with FC... so.... Our FC yesterday wasn't 25 it was 12.5. :oops: :hammer: :roll: :(

This afternoon's numbers:
Temp: 78 deg
FC: 7.5 (was 12.5 yesterday)
CC: 0 (previous 0)
TC: 7.5 (was 12.5)
pH: 7.4 (previous (7.4)
CYA: not tested (yesterday 50)
Pump runs 9 hours total per day.

Should I wait til tomorrow to add chlorine or add some according to pool calculator tonight before pump goes on? :?: I am thinking, back of my head 64 oz of 6% chlorine tonight will raise FC to 10. Supposed to be full sun again tomorrow. No rain.

Thanks so much! Hope you had a great day!

Hi resch,

If it was my pool, I'd do what you said and add enough bleach to get to 10 FC and then check it again tomorrow evening. :wink:

This will give you an idea of just how much FC your pool is using each day.

Good luck and welcome to TFP :wave:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks Butterfly! I did just that... since FPM looked like she was unable to reply.

I added 90 oz (roughly half/182oz bottle) of 6% bleach last night-should have brought me to 10 FC. :goodjob:
Pump ran 9 hours. Today it was unexpectedly cloudy with light rain all day, go figure. :?

Here are the numbers:

Temp: 73 deg
FC: 9 (was 7)
CC: 0
TC: 9 (was 7)
pH: 7.5 (was 7.4)

YAY!!!! :whoot: :party: :-D
Not going to add anything today. Will check it again tomorrow afternoon.
That CYA is really key, huh? Can't wait to see where we are at with it on Sat.

THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HELP!!!! Have a great night! :wave:

Well things are stabilizing nicely... Can't wait to check the CYA on Sat and see where we are at there. Pool is sparkling and very little chlorine smell.

I left well enough alone at a 9 FC last night... figuring I would be good today and I was!!

Numbers at 5pm today were:

TEMP: 79 deg
FC: 6 (was 9)
TC: 6 (was 9)
pH: 7.5 (steady)
T/A: not checked
CH: not checked
CYA: not checked (assuming 50-60)
Had FULL SUN all day today.

does this sound right? LOOKING TO ADD: (Per Pool Calc) 120oz 6% bleach tonight to increase FC to 10 again. MIGHT see some pop-up showers tomorrow but tomorrow and Sat are looking pretty good. Hoping CYA is 50 so I can not touch anything on Sat except chlorine.

Once everything is balanced, BBB really IS VERY simple to maintain... I am finding I spend about 10 mins a day, testing/adding and an additional 10 mins once a week for the full round of tests. I am thankful to have found this site and not having to make a 30 min trip one way to the pool store for testing!!

Let me know if you think I am off on my chlorine add for tonight.

Thanks so much!!!!!

HERE'S A QUESTION... WE HAVE TO TAKE A 3 DAY TRIP... HOW WOULD WE HANDLE THAT? DO WE ADD EXTRA CHLORINE? HOW SHOULD WE HANDLE THAT SO WE DONT COME HOME TO A GREEN POOL?

Been busy...Life... :oops:

Did ya see me on tv today? Cubs game - vs. Astros - I was 4 rows back behind home plate, holding a sign that said "Trouble Free Pool Rocks"! LOL Just kidding...(about the sign-I was at the Cubs game)

Sounds like everything is going well.

I went on vacation in June - 10 days. I shocked to 16 the night before I left, covered it, and left the pump running (risky, but I do it :mrgreen: ) and I came home to a FC of 8. :wink:

I would say if you cover the pool , add 3-4ppm the normal amount of chlorine. If you don't cover, you could bump the chlorine, and use a puck or two, and then perhaps drain a little water if you find the CYA is too high upon your return.

Thanks FPM, I hear ya on the busy life thing... It never seems to stop, huh? We will try your suggestion. We haven't broken out our solar cover yet so that might just be a great time to do so. Thanks, we will try your suggestion.

I check the CYA for level tomorrow morning. I am actually on pins and needles waiting... I feel like a kid waiting to open presents at my birthday party! LOL (OK so I am easy to please. :roll: )

Today's numbers were fantastic again. Looks like I am finally getting the hang of this. :whoot:

TEMP: 78 deg
FC: 7.5 (was 6)
TC: 7.5
pH: 7.5 (steady as a rock)
T/A: not tested
CH: not tested
CYA: will test in the am... assuming it to be 60 right now.

Added 90oz of 6% tonight to bump to 11 FC. We will have full sun all day tomorrow and we are leaving it uncovered overnight; pump will run 6 hours overnight then 3 hours mid-day tomorrow.

Here's a question: :?: Will the CC's start to show up again if we start putting the solar cover on at night or as long as the CYA and FC are balanced will it keep the CC's away??

Thanks for the great responses and assistance from everyone at this site. YOU ALL ROCK!!!! :goodjob:

Yes, DD swims every day (usually 2-3 hours a day or more off and on) and DH and I are in usually every day-every other day. We LOVE our pool even with the cool summer we have had so far.

HELP... questions again... I appreciate everyone's assistance while we become accustomed to reading our pool.

We did not test or add anything yesterday so I am not sure if I have messed anything up.

Need some help with the numbers: (6pm tonight)
Temp: 77 deg
FC: 4 (was 10 on Sat)
CC: 0.5 (was 0.5 on Sat)
TC: 4.5 (was 11.0 on Sat-hence the reason I did not add yesterday)
pH: 7.5 (steady at 7.5)
T/A: 160 (haven't checked in a week, it was 150)
CYA on Sat: 50

Was planning on adding 182oz of 6% tonight to raise FC to 10.5. Is that ok?
The T/A was rock solid last week at 150. Should I worry about the T/A? :?: If so, I used the pool calc and it says I need to add 120oz of 15% Muriatic Acid to bring it down to 143. This will also drop the pH to 6.5 in which case I would need to aerate to raise pH again or should I add 73oz borax to raise the pH? :?: That just DOES NOT sound correct. I would still be teetering on the edge of a high T/A only getting it down to 143. :?:

Suggestions????
We are going to be away for 3 days soon too and I will need to be sure things a solid before we leave so I dont have to worry about coming home to a green or yellow pool. :(

Thanks everyone!!! This place rocks and I LOVE our TF100 Kit! :goodjob:

you pool is clear and you aren't shocking correct?
I would raise it to your target level of 6. if you raise it to 10 you'll lose it a bit faster and it's kind of a waste. as long as you can check and add daily, I would simply shoot for your target level. don't worry about your TA.

Yes Reebok... Pool Sparkling and we are not Shocking it... just adding around 90oz a day of 6% or 182 every other day (for the most part) trying to stay between 7-10 on the FC.

I guess I am wondering if a high T/A is safe for swimming... and when is high TOO high for a vinyl pool?? :?:

How do I know I want a target of 6? I was aiming for 7-9 at 60 CYA... I see where it calls for 6 in Pool School... :? don't mind me... working 10-11 hour days at work and then appts after... 5am comes REAL early.

ta isn't like toxic or anything, it's a measurement. a high ta is going to cause your ph to rise quickly. so as long as your ph is in range, your ta doesn't matter a whole lot. if you find your ph is rising quickly, you can lower your ta if you would like. pool-school/lowering%20total%20alkalinity
I was going by your last post that said cya 50. I didn't go back and re-read everything, so if you added more cya, then target whatever amount you added for. if it was 60 then that's right on.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.