Pentair magicstream Laminar loop questions

Jun 18, 2017
Ashburn, VA
I have 4 pentair magicstream Laminars in boxes I want to install in the next few days. The PB left a capped pipe for this water feature attached to a valve. It is centered on the back wall of the pool.

I want to space the 4 out on the back wall of the pool with the feed coming in the middle. Obviously the desire is to have them all synchronized in height.

What's the best way to plumb this? I was thinking something like

attached a photo since my ascii sdrawing didn't work too well :)

But I'm new to all this and this was just an idea to have a constant loop circulating the pressure between all the magicstreams. Coming to the experts here to see if this is a feasible idea or if I should redesign it. thanks!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-09-09 at 7.44.15 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2017-09-09 at 7.44.15 AM.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 140
I have 3 Magicstream Laminars. They use their own pump and filter. Each one has their own valve to control the flow and an extra pipe that feeds back into my returns for the overflow. You definitely need the flow filtered, not sure if you're going to use your main filter or have a separate filter. Did your builder lay the power line for the LEDs? The Magic Laminars are best controlled via Pentair Automation. Note, you can also adjust the arc of the laminars but it is done manually under the hood of each laminar enclosure and is a pain in the a**.

IMG_3490.jpg

I have 3 Magicstream Laminars. They use their own pump and filter. Each one has their own valve to control the flow and an extra pipe that feeds back into my returns for the overflow. You definitely need the flow filtered, not sure if you're going to use your main filter or have a separate filter. Did your builder lay the power line for the LEDs? The Magic Laminars are best controlled via Pentair Automation. Note, you can also adjust the arc of the laminars but it is done manually under the hood of each laminar enclosure and is a pain in the a**.

View attachment 68967

I was just going to use the main filter.

Do you have any comment on the original question about the plumbing of the loop?

You don't need the loop but you will want a valve on each laminar to equalize the flow. The Gasman's setup is going to be the same as yours except he has the valves at the pad.

Thanks for the response!

The PB already pulled a 2" feed to the back of the pool where I'm doing the jets. So its too late for individual valves (unless I add the valves near the pool which would be less than ideal since its smack dab in the middle of where the patio will be).

So given that I wouldn't be using individual valves, would my loop idea above be good enough to get the jets to be somewhat equal?

The jets won't be equal without individual valves. You need some way to control the flow to each laminar. In addition, the beauty of the MagicStream Laminars is not only the laminar arc, but lighting up the stream at night, it's really a beautiful effect. How were you planning to control the LEDs?

The jets won't be equal without individual valves. You need some way to control the flow to each laminar. In addition, the beauty of the MagicStream Laminars is not only the laminar arc, but lighting up the stream at night, it's really a beautiful effect. How were you planning to control the LEDs?

OK, cool. I'll just bring the plumbing out of the ground and add valves there and figure out how to cover it up nicely. I assume its better to split the 2" feed up and use 2" valves then bring down to 3/4" at each laminar vs bringing the 2" feed down to 3/4" and then split, valve, and send to laminars?

LEDs are going to be controlled by my EasyTouch panel. Everything is Pentair. I pulled a 120v down from the panel to where the laminars are (easier wiring) and plan to put the transformer down there and wire it to a relay in the panel.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.