Lowering my TA taking a long time

Claughaun said:
For some reason I didn't think it was ok to add Chlorine (bleach etc.) to the pool while I have an SWG running...
Sorry, dude, that was just a little SWG "dig"... :mrgreen:

But seriously I don't think there's any harm to using bleach along with your SWG. Like you said, how else to raise it?

Beez said:
Claughaun said:
For some reason I didn't think it was ok to add Chlorine (bleach etc.) to the pool while I have an SWG running...
Sorry, dude, that was just a little SWG "dig"... :mrgreen:

But seriously I don't think there's any harm to using bleach along with your SWG. Like you said, how else to raise it?
It is not only ok, it is the correct way to shock a pool with a chlorine generator since if you rely on the generator the chlorine level rises too slowly and creates another set of problem.

Claughaun said:
My CYA is over 100

I flushed and replaced some water which brought my Salt down to 2800 from 3100 but didn't affect CYA. I guess I gotta flush some more.
Based on the change in salt level you replaced around 10% of the water, and that would have reduced CYA by about 10% as well, from "over 100" to, well, still over 100. Try diluting your pool water sample 1:1 with tap water, and run the CYA test on the diluted sample (double the reading). That will give you a better idea how much water you'll need to replace.
--paulr

Well my TA and CYA are below 80. My salt - which was down to 2500 before I added a 40lb bag - is now at 2300 ( go figure). I'll be adding another 40lbs shortly... then I'm ready to add 1,000 lbs of Borax and 500 gals of Hydrochloric acid...
Watch this space...

I got the Salt back up to 2800... bought out the local 20 mule team Borax supply - all 9 boxes at 3 stores... added 1 1/4 gals of acid and 4 boxes of Borax... brushed like crazy (some of the Borax was in lumps)... added a further 1 1/4 gal of acid and another 4 boxes of Borax... repeated the brushing. The Ph was down to 7.2 so I aereated it for a while. I'll retest the CA and CYA after 48 hours... water like a jewel... shangri-la...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.