Bolt Inserts Spinning Free

Aug 24, 2017
Tucson
I have a Hayward Super II that started leaking. When trying to remove the motor to replace the seal and o-rings, four of the six bolts must have been overtightened, because the inserts are just spinning. I can pry the case off about an inch before it hits the back wall, enough to see it in action. I'm not that handy (but learning), so any advice on how to remove the bolts from the inserts? Or on just pulling the inserts out entirely? If I get them out, can I just JB Weld them back into place? They're flush, so I can't get pliers on them, and pressing them with a screw driver wasn't enough force to hold the inserts in place while I torqued the bolts. Thanks for any help!

Hayward makes replacement inserts that thread in to the old housing. Unfortunately this is a common problem with the Super II. For 2 sets you'd be looking at about $60. They can be tricky to drive in straight, and it's pretty much a one shot deal, so getting all 4 right is a challenge.

Schatz was kind enough to let me have an old unit of his. My question now is that the space that everything was installed in is incredibly (and needlessly) tight up against my back wall, which makes working on it a massive hassle. My options to make the area workable would be to either chisel/drill out a small section of slump block or saw some PVC and install some bends so I can face the motor the opposite direction. Is there any reason why the latter wouldn't work? Or am I better off just cracking some rock? Thanks!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.