CYA Level Drop in new pool

Aug 7, 2017
Old Tappan, NJ
Hello All:
I am a new pool owner, with a newly constructed in-ground Leisure fiberglass pool. The pool school has been a big help, and an excellent resource. Thank you for all of the valuable information posted here.

I am using Taylor test kit 2006.

Results:
Chlorine 4.0
Combined Chlorine 0
Calcium 200
CYA 50
TA 100
PH 7.8
Salt 3600 (reading from the Pentair Screen Logic software / easy touch system)

CYA was zero. I added the granular CYA from leslie's and it reached 70ppm. CYA then dropped from 70 to 40. I added one quart of Natural Chemistry liquid, and CYA is now 50. I failed to understand what happened to cause CYA to drop? My understanding is that CYA stays in the pool water.
Thank you all,

Welcome to the forum!

Over what time span did the CYA go from 70 to 40?
CYA does degrade due to oxidation by sunlight, normally in the 3-5 ppm per month range, primarily during the summer.
Your CYA test is at best +/- 10 ppm.

Hope that helps.

CYA level dropped from 70ppm to 40ppm in 3 weeks.
I test with Taylor kit, but also get pool store results because they are free and needed to get supplies there anyway.
The pool store results are always lower than what I record at home, but when they told me CYA was zero, after I recorded 70 ppm, I was very surprised. I then tested and got 40ppm. I then boosted to 50ppm. I guess I should add more CYA now

That is odd. A bit more drop than I would suspect in 3 weeks.

Using PoolMath, how much CYA ppm did you add the first time? Did it match what you tested?

Take care.

That is most likely. Believe your own testing. Discontinue getting Pool Store tests.

Take care.

Honestly, the first time I added CYA without any TFP knowledge. I just added what they gave me at Leslie's.
After I started reading here, I bought a Taylor 2006 and started testing myself. Perhaps, my first test was not accurately carried out.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks Marty

CYA test is a more difficult test as its easier to mess up than the others. When you do your CYA test, make sure you're outside with full sun, and have the vial at waist level in the shadow of your body. Add a little of your sample then glance at it, then if you still see the dot with a glance, add some more. Keep going until you can't see the dot at a glance. If you stare at the sample, you will still see the dot. Always round up, so a little over 30 is really a 40ppm result.

What is "Natural Chemistry Liquid"? Whatever it is don't use it again. The only way to lose that much CYA, in 3 weeks, is man-made. More likely, for me, I don't trust you pool store's numbers. Most of us have little need for a pool store. As for the CYA test, it's not that complicated, but it is also subject to interpretation. Even if you read it wrong you'd still be close. All cyanuric acid does is stabilize your free chlorine from degradation by the sun. To lose it in a few weeks is virtually impossible so I'd like to know what your Natural Chemistry Liquid is. If you could kindly read it off the back it would help us understand what you're adding to your pool water. By the way, way to go to clear it up so fast. These guys know what they're doing. Thanks for letting us know what your mystery Liquid is.

Tom

What is "Natural Chemistry Liquid"? Whatever it is don't use it again. The only way to lose that much CYA, in 3 weeks, is man-made. More likely, for me, I don't trust you pool store's numbers. Most of us have little need for a pool store. As for the CYA test, it's not that complicated, but it is also subject to interpretation. Even if you read it wrong you'd still be close. All cyanuric acid does is stabilize your free chlorine from degradation by the sun. To lose it in a few weeks is virtually impossible so I'd like to know what your Natural Chemistry Liquid is. If you could kindly read it off the back it would help us understand what you're adding to your pool water. By the way, way to go to clear it up so fast. These guys know what they're doing. Thanks for letting us know what your mystery Liquid is.

Tom
From the context of the OP's post, I am confident it is the liquid CYA/Conditioner/Stabilizer.

....... CYA then dropped from 70 to 40. I added one quart of Natural Chemistry liquid, and CYA is now 50.

https://www.amazon.com/Natural-Chemistry-Swimming-Stabilizer-Conditioner/dp/B002WKK8DK

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Tom

I can answer your question for the OP... It is liquid stabilizer (sodium cyanurate) and it is fine to use, it just costs more (about double) than granular stabilizer. Label probably says 35% mono sodium cyanurate monohydrate which is equivalent to 30% cyanuric acid.

You can search on here for terms like liquid stabilizer, liquid cya, sodium cyanurate, Natural Chemistry Liquid Stabilizer, liquid gold, etc for more information, it's not a mystery liquid, just an expensive one.

To calculate it in PoolMath just use the options that say liquid stabilizer.

Thanks for this iinfo

- - - Updated - - -

It is just the brand name for a liquid CYA

- - - Updated - - -

Correct, that is what I have.
ps- goes on sale on Amazon $19 a gallon, free shipping, not that pricey if you ask me, and so easy to use.
Thank you all for the help

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.