Pressure running slightly lower, not sure what to think

Apr 26, 2017
Sykesville, MD
My pressure gauge usually reads 14-15 after I backwash and replace D.E. In the past I would change it when it reached 20. Over the last month I kept thinking the pressure should be rising, but it didn't seem to go above 18 and then it seemed to be falling back a little. I was cleaning out the filter's skimmer basket weekly and thought maybe it made a difference since it had accumulated cut grass and pine needles in it.

I decided to go ahead and do a DE change. I backwashed and recoated the filter. Pressure went to 13-14 and when I turn the Polaris on, it drops to 11-12. (this drop of 2psi is what i usually see, not new) I do not see any air bubbles coming out of my jets and the water pressure out of the jets is still strong. The pump skimmer basket is primed and no bubbles are visible.

The only place I can see a possible leak is I have noticed a small amount of water on the top of the pump where a large diameter hose runs to the vari-flo valve. It's always wet when the pump is running but it's such a small amount, could it make that much of a difference in the pressure?

My other thought was could this be a problem with the polaris pressure relief valve? Ours is definitely old.

Thanks for any thoughts...

Lower than normal pressure usually points to a suction side clog somewhere. Either in the pipe or impeller. Check the impeller first through the pump basket and see if there is a clog.

Given the leak by the multi-port, it could be a spider gasket issue as well.

Thanks for your response! I checked the impeller and pump basket but did not find anything. The leak I spoke of is where the hose exits the pump on top, just behind the pump basket, not where it enters the multiport. I just did not know how to describe it, lol. Is it a difficult fix/replace job to investigate the hose leak at the pump? It originates where the threads meet the pump. It's such a small amount of water but it does appear every time the pump is on.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.