Testing Calcium Hardness

Apr 6, 2012
Puglia, Italy
I have the Taylor FasDpd test kit. The instructions say that when you add the R-0010 and then the R-0011L the sample will turn red, then count the drops of R-0009 until the colour turns to blue. My sample only turns to a very pale pink, and eventually a very pale blue, but the colours are so pale it is difficult to tell when the colour changes - I THINK around 500ppm.

Am I doing something wrong, and with a vinyl liner do I need to worry anyway?

I find this a difficult one as well. The golden rule is to keep adding drops until you can no longer see any colour change- then subtract the last drop. Going slowly when you first notice the blue also helps.

But your also right- generally there is no need to worry too much about CH with vinyl pool although if your reading at around 500 you'll need to watch out for Calcium Scaling and manage your CSI.

But your also right- generally there is no need to worry too much about CH with vinyl pool although if your reading at around 500 you'll need to watch out for Calcium Scaling and manage your CSI.

Yes, the reading is around 500. I am trying to keep the PH down to about 7.2 to try to combat this. We did have calcium scaling last year, but since keeping the PH low it seems to be improving. It also appears that our new pool robot seems to be scrubbing off the small amount of scaling that is left. Does that make sense?

Do you have a SpeedStir, TFTestkits.net, for testing? It makes testing the CH much easier and well worth the price.

When I test the CH it goes from pink to a very light purple and then to a very light blue shade. Make sure you end when the test turns blue and not that light purple color.

Add a couple more drops of the R-0011L to deepen the color. Or do what I do: I use a 10 ml sample, 10 drops of R-0010, 5 (not 3) of R-0011L and then multiply the R-0012 by 25.

And I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you made a typo and that you actually did the titration with the R-0012 , not the R-009 TA reagent. ;)

Yes I do have a SpeedStir. I usually give up at 500 but it could be a tad higher. Trouble is it is so pale it is really hard to see the colour at all.

- - - Updated - - -

Add a couple more drops of the R-0011L to deepen the color. Or do what I do: I use a 10 ml sample, 10 drops of R-0010, 5 (not 3) of R-0011L and then multiply the R-0012 by 25.

And I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you made a typo and that you actually did the titration with the R-0012 , not the R-009 TA reagent. ;)

Yes, it was a typo. I already do the 10ml version too. I'll try adding more R-0011L when I do the testing tomorrow.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.