CYA is so frustrating

Jul 6, 2017
Spring, TX
So I just found your site and am trying to get everything lined out. I'm doing things in the wrong order. [emoji20] I did the borates and got it up to 50. Then got the correct test kit. My CYA was over 100 two days ago, so I drained 50% of my water, tested today after filling and here are my numbers.

FC 1.0
PH 7.6
TA 170
CH 300
CYA 100
BOR 30
Temp 87F

I couldn't believe my CYA was still so high so I went to the pool store to have them test to verify my numbers here is what they got.

FC 5.0
PH 7.8
TA 150
CH 250
CYA 98

So I'm draining again. Is there a better way good grief!? My signature is correct except 25k gal pool not 20-25.

20-25K gal, IG plaster, 1.0 HP Jandy Century single speed pump , 460 sqft Cartridge filter, Polaris 180 cleaner, attached spa, and waterfall. Taylor K-2005 test kit.

In the extended test kit instructions you can find in pool school, there is a diluted cya test that can give you a better idea how high it really is. Then you would know how much water you actually need to replace.

Also if you truly got the k-2005 that is not one of the recommended test kits because it is missing the fas-dpd chlorine test. You can add just that chlorine test to your kit to give you the equivalent of the k-2006 test kit. Tftestkits.net sells the required chlorine test separately.

Check out the extended test directions, for CYA, it describes a method for testing above 100. If you get 90-100 on normal test, you likely have way higher, especially if you've used pucks before. There's a link in my signature for the directions.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, living in TX, be careful draining your pool. If the sides dry out to much they could crack. You can hose down the sides to keep them wet while draining

Thanks to both posters above, I'll be ordering the additional Fas-dpd to make my kit complete. Light master thanks for the heads up.

20-25K gal, IG plaster, 1.0 HP Jandy Century single speed pump , 460 sqft Cartridge filter, Polaris 180 cleaner, attached spa, and waterfall. Taylor K-2005 test kit.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.