Skimmer Door Replacement?

RichTJ99

Gold Supporter
Sep 16, 2016
Katonah NY
Hi,

My skimmer door seems to be sticking periodically causing the pool to suck air. The door looks like it is starting to deteriorate.

I am heading out of town for a week - am i better off removing the door while I am away to make sure the pool doesnt suck air?

Also - how to i know what to replace the door with? How do I get it on or off?

THanks,
Rich

2017-08-17 16.23.39.jpg2017-08-17 16.23.16.jpg

The manufacturer info, and sometimes the weir part number, is usually on the underside of the skimmer lid. It is probably the same brand as your pool equipment. Inyo Pools and Sunplay have lots of weir doors. Some folks have been able to sand the area that is getting caught to help it move freely. Definitely better to remove it than starve the pump. But, it won't skim nearly as well without it. Most weir doors have a knobby button that pops into a hole in the housing. Pushing it in the middle will pop it out.

Amazon said:
  • Fits hayward automatic skimmers models sp1082, sp1083, sp1084, sp1085, sp1086
  • Also fits hayward automatic skimmers models sp1075, sp1075t, sp1076, sp1077

That's from Amazon, so sounds like it should fit.

Im a little confused on how to get it off. I have two skimmers. One looks like the amazon one which as a tab on the side. When pressing the tab the door comes off. The one in question (other skimmer) doesnt look like it has a tab, the plastic looks like its falling apart so I am hesitant to pull it out when I am leaving tomorrow.

I have a friend stopping by every few days to check out the pool. I also have a camera pointing at the hot tub overflow. If water is overflowing then the pool is running.

It sounds like your collectively saying that having no door will stop the pool from sucking air but wont be effective at skimming the gunk in the pool?

Im a little confused on how to get it off. I have two skimmers. One looks like the amazon one which as a tab on the side. When pressing the tab the door comes off. The one in question (other skimmer) doesnt look like it has a tab, the plastic looks like its falling apart so I am hesitant to pull it out when I am leaving tomorrow.

I have a friend stopping by every few days to check out the pool. I also have a camera pointing at the hot tub overflow. If water is overflowing then the pool is running.

It sounds like your collectively saying that having no door will stop the pool from sucking air but wont be effective at skimming the gunk in the pool?

With weir off, things might float back out when the pump shuts off. On the otherhand, if the weir sticks up, then your pump might get starved of water and burn up your motor.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.