15 Jugs of Chlorine, and what do you get?

You probably just have a lot of pools in Houston, and many new builds that went with SWCG in the past 10 years that weren't maintained properly. I bet every one of those customers called the pool builder when they had problems, and created a lot of hassle arguing "warranty".

Reactions: CarolD
As I mentioned at the beginning of my post, my pool is built and I am currently using liquid chlorine for sanitation. And I wasn't suggesting that using a SWCG couldn't be done in Houston, only that six different pool builders had given me a similar story about salt water pools and why they were so bad. My question was merely why, and was this a Houston thing...some very nice people above answered that question with well thought out answers. :)
Carol,

My mistake and no offense intended. Sorry.

Chris

I’m in the Houston area and, surprisingly, none of the four pool builders that we talked with tried to dissuade us from getting a SWG.

I do have a friend that recently remodeled his pool and said he was ditching his SWG to chlorine(I’m assuming a tab dispenser) because he said the salt water ate up his flagstone. I wanted to tell him about TFP and tell him it’s not true, but I didn’t know how to say it without coming across as insulting.

I did a lot of research before building our pool. I’m so thankful I found this site. I got a good education here. I’m also thankful that my PB had a properly sized SWG included in my build. I love my SWG and couldn’t imagine not having one. It’s too bad some PB’s choose not to educate themselves about SWG’s.

Reactions: setsailsoon
I do have a friend that recently remodeled his pool and said he was ditching his SWG to chlorine(I’m assuming a tab dispenser) because he said the salt water ate up his flagstone.

Wait til he's been feeding pucks for awhile and his CYA levels get to over 400, while the pH in the pool drops to <4.0. Bet that will play heck with his flagstone. Both of those measurements were taken from my pool when I took ownership 6 years ago, after the previous owner had religiously obeyed everything the pool store told him to do.

• Wow
Reactions: Jbrillo
Wait til he's been feeding pucks for awhile and his CYA levels get to over 400, while the pH in the pool drops to <4.0. Bet that will play **** with his flagstone. Both of those measurements were taken from my pool when I took ownership 6 years ago, after the previous owner had religiously obeyed everything the pool store told him to do.
Those are some ridiculously bad numbers. I hope that doesn’t happen to my friend. I’ll have to find a way to get him on board with some TFP. I just couldn’t see myself giving him advice on pools especially when I’m still brand new and learning. This conversation tools place a few months ago when my pool was still being built.

I’m in the Houston area and, surprisingly, none of the four pool builders that we talked with tried to dissuade us from getting a SWG.

I do have a friend that recently remodeled his pool and said he was ditching his SWG to chlorine(I’m assuming a tab dispenser) because he said the salt water ate up his flagstone. I wanted to tell him about TFP and tell him it’s not true, but I didn’t know how to say it without coming across as insulting.

I did a lot of research before building our pool. I’m so thankful I found this site. I got a good education here. I’m also thankful that my PB had a properly sized SWG included in my build. I love my SWG and couldn’t imagine not having one. It’s too bad some PB’s choose not to educate themselves about SWG’s.

You can take a horse to water but can't make him drink. I've got friends, very well-educated and they just don't want to hear facts. They've got their beliefs based on a lot of incorrect information and bizarre logic. They're great friends but I just can't help them. So I don't. Someday they may be receptive but it could take years for them to realize my pool works and theirs doesn't. They believe anything the pool store tells them even though they get contradictory recommendations from different people at the same store and none if it makes sense.

Maybe someday...

They've got their beliefs based on a lot of incorrect information and bizarre logic.

I’m really starting to think that just a handful of years ago, before the internet was at it’s current state, and amazon, YouTube, TFP, etal were fractions of what they are today, there was just too little of info out there. PB and pool stores were told to ‘set it and forget it’ on the SWG. Which lead to many failures and upset customers. Which gave the system a bad rep that is currently hard to shake. Just like every other miracle cure that came along before it.

I’m seeing a big difference just in the 7 years I’ve had mine. When I got it I was the oddball out. Nobody I knew was doing it and only some people had a ‘friend of a friend’ who did it. (All of those were bad experiences of course, but nobody could name the actual person who had the problem, so it seemed more urban legend than truth). I had to explain my system to blank stares every time someone asked.

Now it seems that the info is out there. Friends getting pools know all about it and most of the friends with chlorine pools at least know the concepts now. I bet eventually there will be enough happy users out there that it takes over as the preferred method. It sure seems to have gained a lot of traction the last few years.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.