How to lower chlorine in hot tub

kris77

May 27, 2014
Clarksburg, WV
So I went away on vacation and bumped my FC up in my hot tub. Then put a floater in there with a few 1" tablets in it. But when I got back, I realized i had misjudged the ammount of bleach i put in there. I should have put about 5-6 oz of 10%. I put about 10, then left a floater in there.

I tested it today, I was up to 60 drops and it was still as dark red as ever, so i stopped. So i know i'm over 30 FC for sure with a CYA of about 35-40. Its been like this for a week now.

Not much sun hits it, so leaving the cover off isnt going to do my any good. Should I just let it come down over the next few days/weeks by itself? Or try and drain half and refill to lower it some?

I dont even want to get it it till its in the 20s at least.

My guess is that the CYA levels are higher than you think. Did you run the CYA test?

Those tablets have CYA in them.

I'd also be concerned that the PH is corrosively low. That is a problem with the tablets, they are too acidic to let dissolve in a hot tub.

You can add hydrogen-peroxide to lower the FC levels. Given it is a hot tub, you will not require a large amount to make changes in the FC levels. I was in a similar situation to you were I added way to much and had to reduce for a party. You can search online for calculations on how much you need to add to lower the FC.

I believe i read its almost a 1 for 1 ratio. So if you add 2 oz of chlorine, 1oz of hydrogen peroxide will remove 50% of the FC. Dont hold me to that, I am going off memory on something i read.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.