Haze that develops after just a few days

Review the directions for the overnite test in Pool School.....You're losing too much FC and need to shock. The brown stuff is likely dead algae and vacuuming it is a very good idea. Get some more chlorine in there....you have more algae to kill. :lol:

At least two of my friends who have owned their Intex pools at least one year prior to this have been running their pumps with the middle dial all the way tightly closed instead of loosening it a bit to vent. Makes a big difference in the performance of the pump. Just mentioning it to be sure your pump is on correctly in that regard.

crek31 said:
At least two of my friends who have owned their Intex pools at least one year prior to this have been running their pumps with the middle dial all the way tightly closed instead of loosening it a bit to vent. Makes a big difference in the performance of the pump. Just mentioning it to be sure your pump is on correctly in that regard.

I thought the vent was only for priming the pump? Never heard of these being run with the vent open. That's interesting. I'd guess that's kinda like trying to suck through a straw that's got a crack in it.

I'm a VERY new kid to all of this pool stuff, and utterly non-mechanically-minded, so maybe you better get one of the regulars to ratify what I've told you before you change how you run the pump. However, I interpret my Intex instructions to say I should turn the vent dial 1.5 turns -- I leave it in that position any time the pump is on. I only close the vent before I unplug the pump (else water will escape from that dial area) to either swim or change the filter.

Following up on the pump/vent issue -- I guess it is also possible that the way our pumps are supposed to be run is different since I assume you have a bigger, different pump than mine since my pool is tiny. To be honest, I don't really know is meant by priming a pump, so I'll be waiting with you to see if someone chimes in to set me straight. Having the vent open 1.5 turns sure seems to move a lot more water, though, and seems like the right way on my pump.

Well, I re-read the Intex instructions and I think perhaps I've been doing it wrong - still not positive because their instructions clearly say to open the vent 1.5 turns and never expressly say to close it again for opertion. I know when I open the vent screw 1.5 turns I get tons more out-flow. However, in speaking with someone at work they think my way was working better because I was comparing it to operation of an un-primed pump. Tonight I'll close the vent back down being sure it is primed to see if I lose out-flow. Good thing you didn't listen to me -- but then again, my filter gets dirty, my pool is clean, and I have good out-flow so I'm not sure yet if I've been doing it wrong or not.

crek31 said:
Well, I re-read the Intex instructions and I think perhaps I've been doing it wrong - still not positive because their instructions clearly say to open the vent 1.5 turns and never expressly say to close it again for opertion. I know when I open the vent screw 1.5 turns I get tons more out-flow. However, in speaking with someone at work they think my way was working better because I was comparing it to operation of an un-primed pump. Tonight I'll close the vent back down being sure it is primed to see if I lose out-flow. Good thing you didn't listen to me -- but then again, my filter gets dirty, my pool is clean, and I have good out-flow so I'm not sure yet if I've been doing it wrong or not.

Open the valve 1.5 turns until the water flows from the top of the cannister(through the vent). This purges the air from the cannister and the suction hose. When water begins to flow through the vent steadily, screw it closed. It is now primed. At this point plug in the power cord and you should be ready to go.

Good luck.

I'll give it a try tonight. Thanks - I guess it has just been open so little that the pump could compensate. Hope your pool water is clearing up -thanks for helping me!

For those of you anxiously awaiting results you already know, I'll confirm that when I shut the vent dial the flow did not decrease. It also did not seem to increase noticably, so maybe I was just letting in a tiny amount of air. Spanky, thanks for settng me straight. I have in turn told my two friends to shut theirs, but since they had not been priming it at all before, like me, theirs was working better opened a little. All is good now, so thanks again and hope your pool is looking good.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Still can't get my FC loss where I need it. I went back and re-read some pool school items and older forum posts and realized that I need to shock at a higher level and check more often.

I shocked last night to a level of 37. This morning it was 28. The water doesn't look bad, but the FC loss has me puzzled. It's a 3500 gallon above ground pool, and there aren't many hidden places for algae to grow.

Here's a question, can algae grow in the canister filter and/or the element? There's no sunlight, and the "shocked" water is traveling through it.

I bought Clorox from Sam's Club for a great price, so I can continue to pour the chlorine to it. Maybe I need to be more patient.

Well, with that much chlorine drop, something is definitely consuming it. Have you changed your filter much during all this? I know you've said you're cleaning it a couple of times a day, but a new one everyday for two/three days would be an easy place to start. Also try cleaning out the pump really well. I unhook mine from all the hoses and power cord and bring it into the kitchen sink to scrub it with soap and water. Once you've cleaned the pump and changed the filter, try shocking and an overnight test again.

Can you re-test your CYA? I know at the beginning of this thread you had a CYA of less than 20, and I thought you added some...what's your level now. I'm not sure where you found a target shock value in the uppers 30s, but that corresponds to a CYA close to 100.

Finally, with a 3500 gal pool, dump/scrub/refill is a reasonable solution.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.