Pool Salt, which brand and where - SWG being installed

Catanzaro

Platinum Supporter
TFP Guide
Jul 30, 2014
Monmouth County, New Jersey
Today, my Taylor Salt Kit came in and my salt levels were at 1,400. The levels must have increased over the last several years through liquid chlorine additions. In order to bring up from 1,400 to about 3,400, which I am guessing, the pool requires 250 lbs. of salt. My permit is complete. The heat pump has been ordered.

Question: Where should I purchase salt and which kind? I should be up and running in about 3 weeks. Thanks!

I buy water softener salt at Home Depot. Just be sure it is the plain one, no rust inhibitors.

Be aware that some have reported buying Clorox brand Pool salt and it leaves iron stains on their pool shell. So I would avoid that one.

Take care.

Six 40lb bags should do it. Get it in now before the SWG is hooked up so you are good to go from day one. Just shop around for the salt and make sure it doesn't have anything but salt in it.

As stated earlier, stay away from the Clorox pool salt.

Get it in now before the SWG is hooked up so you are good to go from day one. Just shop around for the salt and make sure it doesn't have anything but salt in it. As stated earlier, stay away from the Clorox pool salt.

Thanks Ping. The heat pump is being shipped out tomorrow for next weeks delivery. I plan on purchasing the salt in the next few days and having everything dissolve in the pool. After 2 days, I will test with the Taylor Kit to see where I am. Then I will add more, if necessary and test again. I do not want to add too much and have to drain water. In addition, now I have to bring my CYA from around 40 to 70.

I will miss adding the liquid chlorine every day, but if it was not for the heat pump, I probably would have continued business as usual. Liquid is so predictable. Thank you.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Today, my Taylor Salt Kit came in and my salt levels were at 1,400. The levels must have increased over the last several years through liquid chlorine additions. In order to bring up from 1,400 to about 3,400, which I am guessing, the pool requires 250 lbs. of salt. My permit is complete. The heat pump has been ordered.

Question: Where should I purchase salt and which kind? I should be up and running in about 3 weeks. Thanks!

I buy "Solar Salt" from Home Depot. It's basically rock salt. Different stores sell different sizes, so sometimes Ace Hardware or Orchard sells a 30 lb you can use for the final dosing so as to not over do it.

I did not want to start another thread, so this one has been continued.

I picked up pool salt (NSF certified) at Home Depot. Quick Question on testing. A few weeks ago, with the Taylor K-1766 salt test kit, I had 1,400 ppm of salt. This is due to the wonderful chlorine additions over the last 3 years. Now, I added 200 lbs. of salt in the pool. Rather be under than over and add again in a few days. I have Aqua check strips that came with the SWG, but will use them when I compare both.

Question: How long should I wait, after adding salt in the pool, before I test again? Prior to the heater, SWG, and check valve, I had very low pressure and high turnover. Originally, my pressure was at 12 psi. Now, I am at 22 psi. My flow has significantly been reduced, but still enough for the pool, especially for the 2" plumbing and configuration. I was thinking like 24 hours. Is this sufficient?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.