Newbie, Central Valley California

tony75

Jul 20, 2017
Patterson
Just started the bid process, looking at doing an in-ground gunite pool approx 30x17 rectangle. Wife wants a tanning ledge and a deep end maybe 7', but I'm worried it will take too much shallow swim space for our 3 children age 10, 8, and 4. Just started looking at this page in the past week, thanks ahead for any insight as I've never owned a pool before.

Welcome to the forum!
Post up your plans when you get them. Equipment list, etc. We will chime in on our suggestions.

There are many on here that like to bling it up -- watch your pocketbook!!

Take care --

Have you thought of using a sport pool design? the ends are shallow and the center is deepest. Think about how you plan to use the pool, how well the kids currently swim, and how many people you plan to have use it on a regular basis.

As I keep meeting pool builders, some new costs were layed out to me, "a deep end dig" and a cost difference for a basic sun shelf. I guess it's all relative. Also, should I run if a pool builder says whole yard drainage is a landscaping issue?
The backyard will be mostly pool, this was the first builder that told me drainage would be up to me to rectify, short of a channel drain between the house and pool.

Trying to figure out if he's just being really up
front and the others are just glazing over later problems

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Typically overall drainage is part of landscaping. Your builder shouldn't do anything like run the water to the foundation, but they typically will "daylight" it and it's your responsibility from their. Depending on the scope of the job, they may be willing to go further with it, but daylighting is very common.