My Pool Audio Build -- help needed

Apr 8, 2017
houston texas
I know there have been threads before but I would like somefeedback on my build specifically.
I live on 5 acres. My closest neighbor is on the fireplaceside maybe 1 acre away from me.
What I am trying to accomplish:
A) Nice crisp sound while the waterfall is going inthe spa without waking up neighbors
B) Good sound while in pool
C) Good sound by the fireplace area
D) Good sound under the covered porch area.
E) I want to be able to play music through wifisince Bluetooth probably wont reach. I want to be able to play TV sound so whena football game is on everyone can hear the sound and know what is happeningeven though they cannot see the TV

Note: there will be a fence that borders the cement deck.There will also be a fence that goes straight across were my truck is in thepicture. That area were my truck is will no longer be parking space and willnow become patio space.

Here is what I was thinking
1) 4 – AW6500’s under the eves of the porch likeyou see in picture 1.
a. The 4 speakers will be ran to 2 sonos connectamps. 1 being called "spa/sundeck” and the other being called “pool/fireplace”
2) For the TV I was thinking about putting a sonossoundbar. I know those arenÂ’t outdoor rated by the TV is well under the patio.I like this idea because this gets me sound onto the sonos system.
3) For the patio area were my truck is I wasthinking 2 Sonos play 1s.

Whats everyones thoughts? Is there a better system or set upI should look at? I love the array type setups but I donÂ’t think it would workwell for me since I have cement everywhere. Sonos gives me the option to have 4zones. Zone 1 spa/sundeck. Zone 2 pool/fireplace. Zone 3 tv area. Zone 4 weremy truck is

pool%20audio%201_zpsw77xmdc7.jpg

pool%20audio%203_zpsni8zryxk.jpg

pool%20audio%202_zpsb6tckcd4.jpg

Well the key to great outdoor sound quality and minimal disruption to the neighbors is quantity and specific volume control at each speaker. The more speakers you have, the lower the overall volume level needs to be to achieve the listening level desired so your off to a good start with the number of speakers and locations you've selected IMO. My suggestion would be a cost saving one ( about $700 cheaper than what you have picked out) that will also improve sound quality. I would ditch the multiple Sonos connect amps in favor of a single Sonos Connect to act as a hub. Purchase an amplifier such as a Crown CTS4200A which has 4 channels (two zones with independent volume control) and set it up using the 70v line option so you can add as many speakers down the road as you wish with no problems as you may find adding additional rock speakers or similar along the pool edge is needed. Using 70v line level also enables you to run lighter gauge wire longer distances and control the specific output of each individual speaker which is a huge advantage.

For speakers, I would go with JBL Control 25av (not 25t) which are a bullet proof commercial outdoor speakers that you can use in every location including the TV area.

1 Sonos connect $349 ( ton of used ones on ebay for well under $300)
1 Crown CTS 4200 $500
8 Control 25 av $1,300 (shop around and you can find them cheaper)

This would be similar to the system I have setup that you can see about a minute into this video Vera Automation + Home Theater and Whole home indoor/outdoor audio walkthrough - YouTube

So many routes you can take 'best' is hard to nail down.

2 AW6500s on a ConnectAmp puts out really nice sound provided they're under eaves or some sort of structure to create a bit of an enclosure effect. Installed that way the amount of low end was surprising at first and still sounds fantastic.

Sonos' Soundbar is also a very capable unit although ours is inside the house paired with their sub. Regardless, we've never been left wanting it to go to 11.

Last edited:
How do the jbl speakers compare to the aw6500?

i only listed buying the aw6500 because of the great reviews...

Honestly the only sound edge the Control 25av's will have is in the crisp top end. They use a compression horn that carries incredibly well in an outdoor environment (vs. a standard dome tweeter in the 6500s). BUT the bigger advantage is in the lifespan you can expect out of the Control series. They are absolutely bulletproof as evidenced by their installation in just about every theme park in the world. They last for decades in the harshest conditions. You're also picking up the feature of built in line transformers and saving about $150 per pair.

On the low end I would have to give it to the 6500's. The slightly larger driver size combined with the passive radiator do a very good job of reproducing lower frequencies but truth be told, if you want real bass, your not going to get it in any speaker of this size. Outdoor subwoofers are really the only way to get it such as the JBL SB210 which will knock the waterline tiles off.

Honestly there are a thousand way's to skin the audio cat and any of this equipment will make a great choice as you clearly are investing some decent cash to ensure a great system. I only lean towards JBL because when you make this type of investment and put it in a harsh environment I want to make sure it not only sounds good but will last a very long time with no maintenance (bringing speakers in during the winter ect).

I just installed a pair of the Def Tech AW6500's on a Sonos Connect Amp. I was worried that the 55 watts may not be enough, but with the sensitivity of the 6500's, they're loud and make my pool area feel like a live concert! When you set the Def Tech's up in the Sonos app, go to room settings and turn the bass and treble up and turn the loudness button on for your pool zone. Then sit back and enjoy what the Def Techs are capable of. I have Def Tech home speakers which I love and these 6500's are no different. Make sure you mount the speaker so the passive radiator is aimed at a wall to bounce off of. On your set up I would wire the 4 - 6500's in parallel to 1 connect amp. Since the speakers are 8 ohms and wiring them in parallel will drop the impedance to 4 ohms and the connect amp will still deliver 55 watts per speaker (220 total watts) without buying the extra connect amp. With your 4 pool area speakers so far apart your stereo separation won't be very good. That's why I'd save the $500 and run one connect amp. Also these 2 6500's are giving plenty of sound for a 60ft X 40ft area.

13 by Beccah-shawn Alberti

12 by Beccah-shawn Alberti

When you set the Def Tech's up in the Sonos app, go to room settings and turn the bass and treble up and turn the loudness button on for your pool zone. Then sit back and enjoy what the Def Techs are capable of.

+1 internets for this recommendation. Wowza! They sounded great before but now they've really come to life. Highs are crisp and vibrant and the low end has gotten fuller. Even the Mrs commented they sound better. Treble is all the way up, bass about 3/4 with loudness on. With the Sonos ConnectAmp they needed to be on 3/4 volume and can be turned down a bit lower now...or for best results turned up even louder now!

They're mounted about 14' up and carry very well despite the distance.

Pics, right?...

Pergola.jpg

Kinda hard to see them in the closer up shot...
IMG_2311.jpg

We had the pergola wired for 2 sets but don't see any need for a second pair.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
+1 internets for this recommendation. Wowza! They sounded great before but now they've really come to life. Highs are crisp and vibrant and the low end has gotten fuller. Even the Mrs commented they sound better. Treble is all the way up, bass about 3/4 with loudness on. With the Sonos ConnectAmp they needed to be on 3/4 volume and can be turned down a bit lower now...or for best results turned up even louder now!

They're mounted about 14' up and carry very well despite the distance.

We had the pergola wired for 2 sets but don't see any need for a second pair.

Like you i was going to hook 4 of the Def Techs up. 2 in the pool area and 2 for the back porch. These are plenty loud, and like you say, they carry well and fill the porch and pool area with plenty of sound. The loudness button in Sonos allows you to keep the volume lower, but still keep the depth and sound quality. Glad your're enjoying yours!

IMO, the AW6500's are amazing. I was in your same situation about a month ago. Reading reviews on them made me pull the trigger but was still hesitant because well it is the internet.

Just to give you an overview of the area, here is my layout.

EXM4N0w.jpg

My setup for this is the following
4 DT AW6500's (ran by a crown xls1002)
1 Polk Sub Atrium (ran by a Russound 75W amp)
Dennon Heos Link for wireless source (mulitple built in sources Ex: Pandora, Iheart, Napster, etc.) (can also play tracks from phone/tablet)

Here's where I placed them. No critiques on my landscaping. I'm currently working on it now that the pool has been installed.

egRR2fp.jpg

r8lHaXS.jpg

cOxO4mi.jpg

Don't hesitate to buy the DT's! Wow they are amazing. The sub helps blend in better base for a smooth crisp sound. I only have them powered up half way right now and it's plenty enough for sound. It's actually too much under the patio area.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.