Sanitizing with liquid chlorine

Jul 10, 2017
Connecticut
I have learned through reading here that the TFT procedure uses liquid chlorine as a day to day sanitizer. I like this idea as it doesn't add CYA or calcium to the water as a byproduct.

My question is how do you store all of that chlorine? If I use a half gallon/day that adds up to approximately 50 gallons of chlorine per season. That's a lot of chlorine to store in my shed.

Mike.

I have learned through reading here that the TFT procedure uses liquid chlorine as a day to day sanitizer. I like this idea as it doesn't add CYA or calcium to the water as a byproduct.

My question is how do you store all of that chlorine? If I use a half gallon/day that adds up to approximately 50 gallons of chlorine per season. That's a lot of chlorine to store in my shed.

Mike.
My two pennies worth is take your estimated pool season length and estimate how many times you'll go to the grocery store during that time and do the math to decide how many bottles of bleach to buy each time.
Just keep close to what you'll need between shopping trips on hand. Keep more than less than you'll need but not 55gallons. And keep it out of the sun.
I had one package of shock from the pool store in my garage and it reacted with some miracle grow it came it contact with and it was a horrible smell. I now keep bleach outside completely blocked from light and in the coolest spot I can.
Bleach looses its power so you want to use the freshest you can.

I usually keep between 8 and 24 gallons on hand depending on time of year, pricing, availability. I have shelves in my garage (similar to shelves) where I keep the bottles. We have a bedroom above the garage in our house and consequently, if I keep the garage doors closed, it's a good 10 degrees cooler in the garage than outside, due to poor insulation between garage and bedroom (and our house in general...).

i also usually keep 2 to 6 cases and a little more if i catch a sale. i keep mine in the basement, much cooler than our garage which can be hotter than ambient. and hey, i need the additional exercise.

Mike,

I go to the Ocean State Job Lot in Enfield about once a month and buy three cases ( 12 jugs) of their 12.5% chlorine and store it in my basement. OSJL chlorine is always fresh and is the best value that I have found in CT.

With any luck I may not have to store much chlorine at all. After SLAMing the pool and cleaning it up thoroughly I'm using very little chlorine. In 48 hours my free chlorine dropped only 0.5 ppm from 8.5 to 8.0. I'm going to have to throw my wife in there to get the FC level down.

Mike.

I usually keep between 8 and 24 gallons on hand depending on time of year, pricing, availability. I have shelves in my garage (similar to shelves) where I keep the bottles. We have a bedroom above the garage in our house and consequently, if I keep the garage doors closed, it's a good 10 degrees cooler in the garage than outside, due to poor insulation between garage and bedroom (and our house in general...).
Sorry to get off track, but I would be very concerned about poor insulation between your garage and other parts of your house (especially a bedroom above it). Recipe for a carbon monoxide incident. A proper spray foam insulation can create a vapor barrier.

Of course, then you'd have a bleach storage problem to solve (still preferable).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Sorry to get off track, but I would be very concerned about poor insulation between your garage and other parts of your house (especially a bedroom above it). Recipe for a carbon monoxide incident. A proper spray foam insulation can create a vapor barrier.

Of course, then you'd have a bleach storage problem to solve (still preferable).

Good PSA, Elight! :goodjob:

I just discovered that my local independent pool store 4 blocks from my house (they've been in bizness for 50 years) sells 12.5 pct liquid CL in 5 gallon carboys for 19 bucks. Essentially a wash pricewise with with Walmart's 8.25 at 3.64 per gallon, and I don't look silly checking out with 10-20 bottles (the Wally greater chuckles every time I walk out). I stick them in a plastic shed that I bought. Just keep them out of the sunlight and/or just buy a couple week's supply at a time.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.