Sand filter still not up 10lbs pressure - 3.5 weeks in

HeidiP

Jun 10, 2017
Ottawa/ON, Canada
I have a 22.5" sand filter on my pool (approx. 7000 US Gallons) - and it was installed 3.5 weeks ago. I haven't backwashed it yet, because it hasn't risen 10 lbs of pressure yet.

We just had a rain, so I've got a bit of water to spare right now - wondering if I should backwash now or wait for the pressure to rise.

I have cleaned out my pump basket as well as my skimmer basket, and I have vacuumed regularly (2x weekly or more, to me seems regularly...) suction and the water return are still strong.

Any opinions? We are new owners. Thanks!

We recommend backwashing when pressure goes up 25% from the "clean state" pressure. Read your gauge just after you backwash. Then add 25%. When you get to that pressure, it's time to backwash. Cleaning it too soon and you can decrease the efficiency. The captured particles help capture more stuff. Wait too long and it can reduce the flow through the system.

If all looks good with the pressure, no need to do anything but enjoy your pool.

Teald024 is correct, backwash when your pressure rises 25% above the clean pressure. The larger your filter, the less often you will have backwash. Also, keeping your pool within the FC/CYA ratio will keep algae away so you don't have to backwash as often either. See the link in my signature.

DrHorshenschwartz, there isn't a reason to replace sand. A deep clean would solve the issue if you had pvc shavings in your sand. See this post for the details: Deep Cleaning a Sand Filter

I have a 22.5" sand filter on my pool (approx. 7000 US Gallons) - and it was installed 3.5 weeks ago. I haven't backwashed it yet, because it hasn't risen 10 lbs of pressure yet.

We just had a rain, so I've got a bit of water to spare right now - wondering if I should backwash now or wait for the pressure to rise.

I have cleaned out my pump basket as well as my skimmer basket, and I have vacuumed regularly (2x weekly or more, to me seems regularly...) suction and the water return are still strong.

Any opinions? We are new owners. Thanks!
We recommend backwashing when the filter pressure rises 20-25% over the clean pressure.

A slightly dirty sandfilter will filter better than a perfectly clean one, so I wouldn't backwash until pressure rises as I mentioned.

- - - Updated - - -

LOL, man do I type slow......

Thanks guys, I kept thinking it was 10lbs but 20-25% makes more sense. OK so now I need to attach the hose to do the backwash. Exciting. :) I'm sure it must be up to 13lbs from its original 10 - which means I'm at/past the threshold. Glad I posted the question, rereading my store's brochure I definitely need to get it done. :)

Going to assume that's the top hose on the back of my pump - the installers left some of those metal tightening rings, and my store sold me the hose for backwashing. I seem to have what I need just gotta get up the nerve to do it.

Teald024 is correct, backwash when your pressure rises 25% above the clean pressure. The larger your filter, the less often you will have backwash. Also, keeping your pool within the FC/CYA ratio will keep algae away so you don't have to backwash as often either. See the link in my signature.

DrHorshenschwartz, there isn't a reason to replace sand. A deep clean would solve the issue if you had pvc shavings in your sand. See this post for the details: Deep Cleaning a Sand Filter

After my recent experiance - there IS a time to replace rather than clean the filter sand.

My filter was installed AT LEAST 15 years ago (probably closer to 20) - and it had never had a deep cleaning done.

I DID try a deep cleaning (3-4 hours of overflow) - it would not filter AT ALL - replaced sand (and my laterals - the standpipe broke down at the lateral assembly).
It took 5-6 days of 24 hour pumping and filtering (and daily backwashes) - but I FINALLY have clear water again.

I will agree about the 20-25% rule before backwashing.

I should have been more careful with my words. There are times when changing the sand is necessary, however, too many people replace sand thinking it will solve their issues. Sand doesn't get worn down during pool filtration and baring unusual circumstances, there is no reason to replace it. Generally it is an issue with chemistry, laterals (either out of place or broken), etc.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks. A colleague just gave me the "leave it connected and rolled out" answer - so I guess there are options. And it's not likely TOO $$ to replace if it gets sun damaged. :)

I tried rolling it but then realized there was water still in it. Unrolled. Fully drained. Got tired. Slumpy pile.

It is easy to drain the water out, just lift up the tube near the multiport valve. Keep holding up the tube and walk toward the end of the tube draining the water out. Takes me all of two minutes max to drain it and roll it up.

Thanks! Ours is 50 feet, and it took me a WHILE - but I feel like I could likely do a better job the 2nd time. Will see how we do.
The pressure didn't drop a ton when I did it, so may have recorded our start pressure wrong. There seems to be great output/circulation so I will watch the numbers more carefully...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.