Adding chemicals to above ground pool without a skimmer

4r4y4

Jul 16, 2017
California
I don't know if this is the right place to post this question. As the title says, my above ground pool (Intex Ultra Frame 12'x24'x52'') does not come with a skimmer and I was wondering how I could add powder chemicals, like cyanuric acid, to my pool to prevent damage on the liner. I was reading that I could literally tie a sock in front of a return and let it dissolve there. How successful is that method?
Thanks in advance.

Welcome to the forum!

The method you describe to dissolve the CYA is THE recommended method. You can even squeeze the sock and it will dissolve faster. Once all the granules are dissolved you should be able to test for the CYA you added within 24 hours as long as you run your pump some during that time.

You should not be using any other powdered chemicals in your pool. The chlorine/bleach and acid if you need it can be added directly to the water, in a small stream, into the return area with the pump running.

Take care!

Hello and Welcome to TFP.

Adding chemicals to you pool shouldn't be an issue without a skimmer. We do not recommend using the skimmer to add chemicals anyway, even if you did have a skimmer. Pour the chemicals into the water with the pump running where the water returns to the pool. The return jet will help disperse them quickly. Assuming you decide to follow the TFP method, you will be adding liquid bleach daily and occasionally muriatic acid. Both are liquids. The only other typical chem is the granular CYA. That gets added via the sock method hanging in front of the return. That method is very successful and the preferred method.

Reactions: DuckPond
I don't know if this is the right place to post this question. As the title says, my above ground pool (Intex Ultra Frame 12'x24'x52'') does not come with a skimmer and I was wondering how I could add powder chemicals, like cyanuric acid, to my pool to prevent damage on the liner. I was reading that I could literally tie a sock in front of a return and let it dissolve there. How successful is that method?
Thanks in advance.
Welcome to the forum!

The 'sock method' is the preferred method to add CYA. I hang mine from a pool noodle:

CYA sock1.jpg

CYA should be the only 'powdered' chemical needed in your pool.

How do you normally test the water?

Can you provide a link to the TFP method? We just had our above ground pool installed today and our pool installer recommended adding a slow dissolving Chlorine tablet to the skimmer, however the chemical page I found here states liquid chlorine is best? I've been searching threads for the best answer. Thanks!

Can you provide a link to the TFP method? We just had our above ground pool installed today and our pool installer recommended adding a slow dissolving Chlorine tablet to the skimmer, however the chemical page I found here states liquid chlorine is best? I've been searching threads for the best answer. Thanks!

All dry chlorine products such as tablets or shock add a little something extra to your water, most notably stabilizer (CYA). Chlorine is consumed each day but stabilizer is not, it stays and builds up.

Stabilizer buffers your chlorine and makes it less harsh by sort of locking some of the chlorine away for reserve. As you get more and more CYA then you have to maintain chlorine higher and higher, if not the water is not sanitized, algae establishes and the pool turns green. Trying to fix that you start dumping in pound after pound of shock until the CYA gets so high it becomes almost impossible to clear up the pool and you have to drain. Using liquid chlorine avoids this as all you add is chlorine, water and a small amount of salt.

Of course tablets can be used as long as CYA is carefully monitored as it builds very quickly. You end up having to waste lots of water in order to keep it from getting too high. It's much simpler to just use liquid and add stabilizer only as needed.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.