HTH 6 Way Test Kit - New Pool Help

Hey everyone, I am new to this website, and to the pool world in general. I've been reading up on the ABC's and trying to learn about all the pool knowledge lol. I have a Summer Waves 15x42 above ground pool, and I am trying to get it straight before Aug. 5th which will be my daughters 10th birthday party ( Growing way to fast! ) for the past few weeks money has been tight, and our pool at first was swamp green. I have gotten it to a light blue but its very cloudy now. Im still using the factory pump/paper filter that came with this pool, but I am buying a SWG system from a buddy of mine, go I am hoping to convert over this weekend. SO far based on the results of this kit (which im not sure how accurate the readings are)

Chlorine - after adding the 5 drops, it turned orange
PH lever -- based on the reading it looks to be around 7.8-7.8
Total Hardness -- think its low, pretty low
CYA -- this was pretty high, I would say around 120ppm
Total Alk. -- low, I stopped adding drops to the tube after 30, it had turned yellow, but this kit says to keep adding till it turns red I think.

can someone help guide in what I possibly need to do?

the SWG system im getting from my buddy, not sure the pump size etc. but the skimmer I have on the side of my pool now that the filters goes in, I wont be able to use his skimmer because its a square opening, so im assuming ill remove the pump that's in my skimmer now, and round this to the new pump ill have? lol

Thank you very much in advance

Check out temporary pool guide in pool school. Get a real test kit, tf100 or Taylor 2006 if you want %100 certainty that the pool will be good for the party.

What's the water cost where you live? Toss the water and start over

Welcome to TFP!

Agreed. That CYA is a deal breaker. Drain half or more of the water and start again. The problem with that kit is that it doesn't have the FAS/DPD chlorine test which measures FC up to 50 ppm. With CYA at 120 you need to maintain chlorine way above 5 ppm, which is all that test can measure. You can order just the FAS/DPD chlorine test from TFTestkits.net.

Here is the seasonal guide, Pool School - Guide for Seasonal/Temporary Pools

Here is the water balance for SWG pools, Pool School - Water Balance for SWGs

Do some reading here also, ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
And here, TFPC for Beginners

Thanks for getting back to me. I got a Sand filter system, also a swg from a buddy of mine yesterday, im going to drain, and refill - start completely over. SO wish me luck this weekend as I attempt to hook up all this extra stuff lol. not sure on what size the pump is etc, but my friend had it on a 17x52 I think.

once again, thank you

Welcome to the forum!

While the new pump & filter are worthwhile to get running right away, don't worry about the SWG until you have the pool cleared up. You do not want to switch over to the SWG until you already have the pool well balanced and the FC is stable. Once the pool is balanced you can add the required amount of salt, brush it in until it is dissolved, then start up the SWG 24 hours later.

Can you tell us exactly the model of the SWG?

Thanks for the reply. The pump/sand filter system I have bought is a Intex SF70110 & the SWG is a Intex as well, and the number I seen on was ECO8110, also have 2 bags of Salt as well.

Also thanks for that advice, I knew that I wouldn't be able to drain, refill, and the swg was going to solve all the issues lol, wish it was that easy. My pool is like 3515 gallons, and this pump says it pushed 2800GPH. do you guys think this pump is TO much for this smaller pool I have?

Ok good deal. What sand do you guys suggest I get? im in a rush, can really cant order anything online, so a pool store is really my only option. I found at Lowes they sell quikrete pool sand for 5.50 a 50lb bag, but Ive seen a lot of bad reviews on it.
The "bad reviews" were really not widespread, just the same story being repeated over and over. I personally think one plant (they have them all over) had an issue for one day. It's long behind us.

But, if you are uncomfortable with it (Home Depot sells the same stuff) many Ace hardware stores have the HTH sand.

I just went to a local pool store and got some sand. 50lb bag for 12.49, so not to bad for pricing. I have the pool drained all cleaned and refilling now, have everything hooked up, sand canister is filled. So tomorrow I'll be able to start the pump up and see how It does.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.