Survey for FC usage in very hot climate with sun on pool all day

jstblush

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 3, 2015
Pasco, WA
I am using what I feel is excessive amounts of FC each day. I am using between 3.5 to 5.0 ppm a day. We are in a very hot, dry climate and our pool is in sun from sunrise to sunset. Just curious if others are experiencing anything along these lines without any algae problems popping up. My water is crystal clear, OCLT reading was 1. I have already raised the CYA from 30 to 40 without seeing much difference at all in FC usage.
Thank you for your replies!
Sherry

I am using up about 4.5 ppm FC per day here in sunny southern Nevada. Pool water temperature is typically at 90F in the afternoon.

CYA is 70. Have SWCG and the above is what it creates each day.

Take care.

Well, this is making me feel a little better because my water temps stay in the 86-90 range here too. But it seems like I'm using more than last year. Maybe my CYA was a little higher last year. But I raised it from 30 to 40 with no less usage?
Sherry

Lots of variable year to year. Last year I used more chlorine daily than I am this year. So just depends. I just adjust the SWCG so things are good and not over-analyze it.

Take care.

Okay, thanks. I think you may be right about over-analyzing everything! It's just that you don't want to miss something and have an even bigger issue to deal with. I did the OCLT last night and the reading was 1. So I think I got nervous, especially since using more FC than most! Okay....relax....:calm::calm: DOWN, Sherry!!!! LOL

It is hot, hot, hot here and I am going through about 5 ppm a day right now. I am running my pump longer and brushing any known areas of trouble frequently. I raised my CYA to 50 and I have been having my kids put some chlorine in at around 4 pm so we don't get below six before nightly testing.

Chrissy,
Thank you for the input. It really helps to know that others are experiencing the same thing. Did raising the CYA help? I raised mine from 30 to 40 and saw no change. Was thinking about going to 50, but am a little nervous until I know if there is anything else going on.
Sherry

I have my CYA=60 and the pool water runs between 89 to 92 degrees according to the day. My daily intake of chlorine is 3ppm. I go from 9ppm to 6ppm just about every day. I just keep on adding 74 ounces of 10% chlorine a day. :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.