YIKES! crazy hi CC after ascorbic acid stain treatment...

Jul 24, 2017
Rochester, NY
After almost two weeks of ascorbic acid stain treating, My CC measured at 35- 36 today ? and my FC only 2 or 3 -how do i fix w/out shocking??
I also cannot get a CYA reading, I had added 2 gallons of liquid conditioner between Fri. and Sun. -still below 30.
My pool has had Poly quat 60, metal magic sequestreant in it over the last 2 weeks after initial ascorbic acid treatment.
I'd be SO appreciative for some insight here. Pool store says add dry stabilizer.

I've been using the Taylor K-2006 kit for 3rd summer now ...have had readings in mid- to upper 40's for most of summer so far -until the stain treatment happened.
The conditioner was Natural Chemistry's liquid...we pre-diluted in 5 gallon bucket before adding ( 1/3 of gal conditioner per each 5/gal H20).
Its been really rainy and pool store lady says phosphates are high from rain ...does this play into it?
I bought some granuar stabilizer this morning but haven't added any yet -afraid the CYA is being masked by something? or settled to bottom of pool even tough premixed?? or?

This is my first summer transitioning to BBB method.
I have been using mostly liquid chlorine all summer and purely only liquid (12%) and gradually since stain treatment.
ALSO... the CC today was 35!!! FC- 2 .....FC has been zero till today (added about 2.5 gal chlorine in last 18 hrs).
pH is 7.6 (up from 7.4 on Saturday and & 7.2 steadily for whole previous 7-10 days), TA =100, CH 300
THANK YOU for trying to work this out with me!

What was the CYA last time you tested it and got a reading and when was this before or after or in the middle of the Poly quat 60, metal magic sequestreant in it over the last 2 weeks after initial ascorbic acid treatments?

I would hold off on CYA at the moment, the most common reason CYA were to disappear like that and chlorine fall is amonium but I do not know what would have converted it if it was at 30 or 40 ppms.

So appreciate the help...
So, the last CYA reading was on 7/13, was 42 - that was just before the stain treatment ( so before poly quat and MM).
Since pool opening in May the CYA has been mostly in the 40's w/ occasional dip or increase.
I can hold off on adding more stabilizer but makes it tough trying to bring back chlorine rate when don't have CYA count to figure in - any thoughts??
What about such a high CC- do i ignore that ?

Here is a test to see if you have amonium: if you do not have it, re test 1 more time all the tests to be sure there was no error, then add CYA. If you loose more than 50% do not add CYA as it can add more amonium, you will have to treat the amonium.

Diagnosing:
1. Test CYA level and record result (you've already done this)
2. With pump running, dose FC to Shock (SLAM) per level per Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart, then retest FC after 10 minutes. If FC level drops by more than 50%, then proceed with treatment for ammonia.

I copied this from another link, add enough chlorine to go to 10 ppms or CYA level of 20 which is the bottom of that chart.

Oops... just remembering I did add 4# of Borax (20 mule team) yesterday afternoon because the pH had dipped to reading of below 7.0 yesterday morning.
I didn't want to bring up the TA anymore (as it was 110 yesterday).
Thought that would be safe amount Borax given the size of the pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I had read to stay away from shocking for 2 weeks after ascorbic stain treatment or high risk of staining re-occuring all over again:/!
Hmm way to lean? The pool has had zero level FC since 7/12....but didn't finish stain treatment till 7/19 or 20ish.
JI've just been keeping algae at bay with polyquat 60.... should i continue that till get Chlorines in balance?

- - - Updated - - -

Hah! yes to new bottle of reagent (from internet order)! But pool store did ran test Saturday and they got zero CYA also ;/

When was the ascorbic acid treatment done? You can also buy an ammonium test kit from an aquarium store. Probably a better way to go. Hopefully Swampwoman or another expert will check in here.

- - - Updated - - -

pool stores CYA very unreliable but does tend to say zero but I think rechecking if you can get some new reagent might be helpful. I usually get orders in 2 days from TFTestkits.com

Stain treatment was between 7/13 and 19. Tried to start chlorine rebuild on the 21st.... checked CYA on 22nd when saw no measurable FC showing, and because wanted to have some calculated strategy as to how much chlorine to add -carefully.
Thats great to know- test kit for ammonium at aquamarine store! I have been reading about increase frequency of ammonium issues.
We have had a LOT of rain here this summer - factors in the equation??
I have not backwashed since adding conditioner last Fri/Sat.
Thank you "Pool Amateur" -circle back if have more thoughts.
I WELCOME "swampwoman"s expertise :))...and others.

You're not going to get 35 CC from ascorbic acid.

Even ammonia won't give you those readings.

Either the test is wrong or something else got in the pool.

Jack's copper and scale treatment is sulfamic acid. That's the only pool chemical that I know that can give you those CC readings.

I replied few minutes ago to I thought the forum at large but not seeing my response posted so maybe as newbie on this site I only responded to "James W" post of last eve. ??
Anyways, trying again here....My very big apologies re: peoples input on High CC, turns out I missplaced my decimals yesterday :(((.
So todays readings were:
CYA- still below 30
FC- .6
CC- 3.4
pH- 7.6
TA-110
CH-300
SO unless i receive other thoughts I guess i am going to purchase new CYA reagent in chance i got a bum bottle last week.
I have not vacuumed/backwashed since last Friday eve... wondering if the bottom of my pool is covered in settled out CYA and other stuff- too cloudy to see bottom right now. IF it turns out it is not the problem of bum CYA reagent..shoud I do vacuum/backwash and then add new conditioner?? its a mystery why the last 2 gallons of a week ago are not registering at all- unless I should have added a 3rd gallon since my pool is ~ 35,000 gallons?
I had added 1 previous gallon of conditioner already in June soon after opening pool.

3.4 CC with chlorine loss might be ammonia.

Doing a SLAM would be indicated except that you're trying to avoid metal stains.

It's a tough position. You can try to gradually raise the fc until it holds but you're probably getting algae that's consuming it fairly rapidly.

You might have to choose to have no algae but have iron stains.

Hi Bridget. I got the bat signal.

I only have a sec, but here's the absolute focus:

Coming out of AA treatment, you need to add FC to target, test in an hour, add FC to target, test n an hour. Note: You are adding to REGULAR target per [fc/cya][/FC/cya] NOT slam level. Do this until it holds FC.

Don't bother reading CCs until your FC holds. It will just confuse the dickens out of you. The residual AA and FC are engaged in a duel to death ;)

Don't bother reading CYA again until pool has normalized. I have a hunch that said death dual when combined with MM In the water confuses the melamine reagent in the CYA test.

Do not add any more CYA. I'm 90% certain that when conditions normalize you'll find that you're already higher than you want.

Please report back after the "rinse and repeat" program and then test a couple times tomorrow to make sure all is normal.

In essence, what you're doing is oxidizing the leftover AA. The reason for the low target is to avoid restaining and not completely slaughtering the Metal Magic. I hope that makes sense.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.