Green pool not algae

Mocap

Jul 23, 2017
pataskala
I know the first thing usnpool owners think is s green pool has algae. This is not the case. I have had a green pool for weeks, treated for metals and algae and phosphates etc.
Three days ago we treated when revive as a last resort. It brought metals ( I guess that's what they are) but the water was very cloudy green. We were. Basically blind vacuuming. We were told to follow that with double shocking it. Four gallons for a 27 round above ground that holds 17,000gsllons water.
12 hours later it is still a cloudy green color. We are at our wits end. Cannot see the bottom due to cloudiness.
Any advice? We have never had this before.

Welcome to the forum!

Normally cloudy green is algae. How are you sure it is not? It does not sound like you have your own test kit. Thus you most likely have not followed the SLAM process and you most likely do have algae.

You need your own test kit to care for a pool of your size. I recommend the TF100 from TFTestkits.net. Best value for the consumer.

Until you get your test kit I suggest adding 1 gallon of 8.25% plain, unscented, non-splashless bleach to the pool each day. Once you get your test kit, please post the results here and we can provide feedback.

Also start reviewing Pool School. Focus on Getting Started first.

Take care.

Welcome to the forum!

In your 17000 gallon pool, using 12.5% sodium hypochlorite bleach, each gallon added 7.4ppm to your FC, for a total of 22.2ppm added to FC. What was the FC 12 hours later? I'll bet it was at or close to zero.

What you describe sounds like typical algae that turns the pool cloudy when disturbed.

The two major things that 'consume' your FC are sunlight & organic matter (algae, bacteria, bather waste, etc).

Without your own reliable testing you are either flying blind, or completely at the mercy of a pool $tore that is more than happy to sell you $100's of dollars worth of 'magic potions' that will lighten your wallet faster than it lightens that green pool.

At this point, if you had a proper FAS/DPD test kit you could perform an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test to confirm or rule out organics, and if you fail the OCLT, you could immediately begin a SLAM Process that when completed properly, will totally eliminate any organic contamination.

The FAS/DPD is also required for the SLAM.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.