Help me choose a replacement pump

May 2, 2016
Central Coast, CA
So my current pump (2HP single speed pentair, about 10 years old) developed a pinhole leak in the impeller housing, it now shoots pressurized water everywhere. Unrelated, I measured it using about 2,600 kWh (at the meter).

I called a pro who initially recommended a variable speed, but then noticed my sand filter is "high flow" - the label says 63 gpm minimum. So then he recommended ripping that out and installing a cartridge filter instead.

I think I would prefer to find a VS that can do 63 gpm at a low rpm -- saving money on electric would be very nice. Any recommendations?

Pool specs in sig.

All I can say is that I am reading a LOT lately about people that have VS pumps that are not happy with them, and are saying that the next pump they get is going to be a dual speed.

I am confused how a filter can have a 'minimum' flow rate. It would seem to me it would work at any flowrate. It would have a maximum flowrate due to pressure loss.

Unless you have water features or spas you are almost always better off with a 2 speed $$$ wise.

If you have room in your budget for a new pump, go with a two speed pump. You can run on low speed most of the time and high-speed for special circumstances like vacuuming. Based on what you said, no need for the extra $ for a VS.
The money (power) savings of running at low speeds are negated if you artificially oversized your pump. Pumps are much less efficient at low speed than at high speeds. Half speed is half flow. To get 63gpm at a low speed will make the full speed flow at least 120gpm. That is a very large and expensive pump.

If you live in Cali, you probably pay a lot for electricity, and need to conserve water. I would highly recommend the Pentair Intelliflo VS pump, and a 425 sq ft cartridge filter. The pump is top of the line, super efficient and ridiculously quiet. The cartridge filter doesn't need to be backwashed. Once or twice a season you take the cartridges out and hose them down.

Yeah, I didn't know that about minimum flow rate, but it's printed right there on the sticker. 63gpm.

Two speed is fine. I have no preference on VS vs 2sp.

But it sound like I'm for sure gonna need to get a new filter then huh?

I mean, the gpm kind of makes sense - 40k gallon pool, say 80% turnover a day, at 63gpm that's 8.5 hours/day.

PG&E offers a 100$ rebate only.

I still struggle with the MINIMUM flow rate for a filter. When I look at the Pentair website info, they state the 63 GPM but that is to achieve so many 'turnovers' each day based on run time. That is not really a valid measure to need to run a pump at a certain rate or time. You should use cleaning the pool and mixing your chemicals each day, not turnover.

Before spending way more on a pump than you might have to, I would suggest you call Pentair tomorrow. Tell them the equipment you have and that your are reading the tag on the filter that it needs a minimum of 63 GPM to function. I really doubt that.

Take care.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yeah, I didn't know that about minimum flow rate, but it's printed right there on the sticker. 63gpm.

But it sound like I'm for sure gonna need to get a new filter then huh?

I mean, the gpm kind of makes sense - 40k gallon pool, say 80% turnover a day, at 63gpm that's 8.5 hours/day.

Hold off on the new filter for now. Can you post a picture of the sticker that shows the performance info (min flow rate). I believe what you are saying, but I would like to see what other information the sticker says and how the min rate is worded. It just doesn't make sense to me why a filter would have a min flow rate.

Can you tell us which particular Triton II sand filter you have?

Here's the sticker -- it would be great if I'm wrong and there's no minimum flow rate. Tell me what you think.

21fc874d488e1e561a48a4b9f623078b.jpg

I don't see anything on that sticker that says the minimum flow rate is 63 gpm. For the TR-60 I see the design flow rate of 63 gpm. Based on that info, you can pick any reasonable flow up to or a bit over that.

It does give a minimum baskwash flow of 47gpm though. But that could be a HS flow at a minimum head rise.

I am with Tesld024 here... from what I am reading on that sticker... the filter is rated for efficiency up to 63gpm... past that, and the effectiveness of the filtration drops off. (trying to push too much water through it before it can filter the water)
I have never seen a sand filter that had a minimum... the slower you can pump through the filter, the more effective it is at cleaning.

The filter GPM rating is a maximum, not a minimum. Plus it is not really an absolute maximum. More of a recommended maximum. You can operate safely at any flow rate below the rating.

Without any special flow rate requirements, any pump will do. The smaller, the better in terms of energy use and filtering.

What pump do you have now? Get the information and call InyoPools for their recommendation of 2 speed motors that will match your wet end.

Take care.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.