Yaya2010

Jul 22, 2017
Hoschton, ga
We have a leak & are presently unable to keep water level up sufficiently to run skimmer baskets (until pool company comes & repairs). How do I turn off the skimmer baskets but keep the main drain running to keep water circulating? It's crazy hot here & we are getting algae, so I need to know how to set all the settings to keep the water moving....please help. (We have a salt water system). Thanks! I'm lost, the pool company tried to tell me over the phone, but I think we've had a bit of miscommunication.

Re: Yaya2010

Welcome to the forum

Are your main drains plumbed to the bottom of your skimmer? If so, there should be a device that covers them that switchs to main drain when the water level is too low in the skimmer. Pull the skimmer basket and see.

If not, the main drain is plumbed to the intake of the pump. You should have a valve or two that controls the suction from the skimmer or main drain.

Good luck.

Re: Yaya2010

Thanks so much guys... I will double check but think my main drain is not connected to my skimmer baskets, but is connected directly to the pump. Earlier, I thought I had turned the valve to the skimmer baskets off (because there was no water movement in the skimmers with the pump on)& had the main drain open & was running the pump; after refilling the pool up to the skimmer baskets (knowing it would stay that full only for a short while), I closed what I thought was the main drain & reopened the skimmer baskets & turned the pump back on & water started shooting out from some of the pipe seals from the pump, so I turned everything off. There are 2 pipes coming out horizontally immediately in front of the pump , so I initially closed the one I thought ran to skimmers & opened the other one I thought went to the main drain, but now I'm not sure that was correct as there is a third pipe that T's off ftom the pump that goes to the far left that has a cut off/--maybe that was the main drain....? I'm obviously lost & a pool idiot! Now, When I shut of both the pipes that are immediately in front of the pump & open the line to the far left, the leakage is minimal from the pump & the pump motor will run (& there's no movement in the skimmer baskets) but I'm just worried if there's really water moving through the pump & that I might burn it up. I Can't figure out for sure which cut offpipe goes to the main drain. Anyone know how I can be sure which pipe/cutoff goes to the main drain (they are not marked!)? thanks & sorry for the over explaining!

Re:  Yaya2010

I think we are to the point of needing a picture.

Do not use Photobucket, they no longer permit third party hosting.

take care.

I see some are using a Google service.

The other way is to become a supporter of the TFP site. You then get some photo storage room.

Take care.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.