White Fuzz on surface of pool water??

Jun 22, 2016
Hillsborough, NJ
Hey all! I have an issue with my pool water and I wasn't able to find anything relevant in search.

This is my second summer with this pool and since opening this year, I've noticed small white fuzz on the surface of my pool. I can't determine if it's pollen-like things from trees, dandelion fuzz, feather parts from birds, or an actual growth from the poolwater itself. I didn't experience this last season. It also casts a shadow on the pool floor appearing as if there's oil mixing with water.

I run my pump at least 6 hours a day with 1 skimmer, as well as a Pool Skim in one of my returns. I clean the surface of the pool with a silt model leaf rake and 1 hour later, it's back as if I've never cleaned it. When I try to pick it up directly, it just breaks in my hand and I can't determine its texture. Once it dries in the leaf rake, it's like a very fine powder that blows with the slightest air current.

White Fuzz (2).jpg
I've circled a few of them in this picture, but there are a lot more. Small leaf for scale.
Any ideas on what this could be and how to get rid of them would be greatly appreciated!!

What is Hardness Control? Could it be creating solid calcium carbonate that floats on your surface? Seems odd -----

We get the same exact thing here in OK.. Here it is cottonwood pollen, looks almost like cotton until it hits the water then it looks like clear wet cotton :) it gets so bad here it will turn into huge 6 inch ball moving around under the water in just under 12 hours overnight...

Looks like this :) cottonwood | the heart thrills

We get the same exact thing here in OK.. Here it is cottonwood pollen, looks almost like cotton until it hits the water then it looks like clear wet cotton :) it gets so bad here it will turn into huge 6 inch ball moving around under the water in just under 12 hours overnight...

Looks like this :) cottonwood | the heart thrills

Thanks. It almost does look like cotton but I don't see anything floating around in the air in my backyard. I'm puzzled by what it could be.

If it is something floating into my pool, is there anything that could be done about it?

the only thing we can do here is check and clear the skimmer more so it does not clog up... You could put a cover on to see if that helps

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.