SWG not keeping up

MouseMan54

May 18, 2016
Riverside, CA
Hi. I'm looking for some tips on why my SWG is not keeping up. I installed a new CircuPool RJ-60plus last spring. All last summer I was able to keep the pool at ~4-5 FC by running my pump ~10 hours and SWG at 75%. It ran fine all winter and early spring at 8 hours/ 40%. Now it doesn't seem to keep up. I've been running 24hrs/100% and at mid morning it's only about 5 FC. I've cleaned the cell using 5:1 MC solution. I can see lots of gas comming off the cell and lots of bubbles in the return. Pool is crystal clear. I've done a OCLT and it's fine.

My test results just now:
FC: 5.0
CC: 0
CH: 450
TA: 150
PH: 8+ (just added 2 gal. MA)
CYA: 90-100

Any ideas?

Other info I've been thinking about.
It's been pretty hot here this summer. 90 to 100+ many days. Lots of sun. Also, there are almost always some amount of leaves etc in the pool as we have lots of mature trees in the 'hood and persistent afternoon breeze. Plus, my precious lab swims all the time. We clip her coat short in summer but I get a lot of hair in the filter. These things aren't different from last summer.

Last edited:
Your CSI is at or above 0.60 with the test results you show. I would suspect your cell will scale up quickly and probably was not generating very well before your clean.

I would suggest you lower your TA and keep your pH in between 7.2 and 7.8.

Otherwise your data says it should keep up though it might need to run 18 hours a day or so at this peak of summer.

Take care.

Certainly keep the pH <7.5 until your TA and CSI drop.

Might want to inspect the cell again. Best to avoid the scaling if at all possible as the acid washing shortens the life of the cell.

Would not hurt to get it tested.

If you ensure that the SWG is generating (like 100% output), then you can try to grab a water sample from a return jet (or loosing the union right after the cell and let water drip out). Those should test at a slightly higher FC level than the bulk of the pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.