Need help, am I just being impatient?

Jul 20, 2017
Minnesota
Ok, so I'm kinda at my wits end so reaching out to all you experts.

Quick backstory, this will be the second year of pool ownership. Last year was a nightmare. Did the usual noob pool owner error of using granular shock and not really understanding pool chemistry. Resulted in CYA levels of 100+ and multiple green pools / frustration.

This year I got a new liner, re-plumbed all the lines and changed the sand filter material. As part of that I shipped in 20k gallons of crystal chlorinated water (not cheap).

Once it was all done, work decided to ship me off to China for a week. When I got back a week ago, the wife had multiple people swimming, left it for a week and the water level was below the skimmer (sad face).

Anyways I topped it up with well water (added some iron out) and brought the chlorine up to 3ppm. Had some people over that next day for more swimming.

On Sunday, the water started looking a bit cloudy, I though uh-oh and took a sample for testing.

Readings were:

FC- 2ish
CYA - 0
Everything else fine.

The pool guys recommended putting in cya and shocking. Because I am now scared of cya I just dumped in 4lbs of granulated shock.

Monday the pool was green (sad face)

I thought here we go again. So I put in 1.5 gals of liquid cya which brought it up to 35cya and enough bleach to bring it up to 12ppm.

I've been brushing it everyday and continually raising the FC to around 18ppm (which it is at the moment). But it's still cloudy green, in the shallow end it's clearish / cloudy white and I can see the bottom. As it goes to the deep end it's green and cloudy and you can't see the bottom.

Yesterday my readings were :

FC 16
CYA 32
PH 7.7
TA 100
Iron 0.3
Borates 1

I've been back washing everyday but for the last 2 days I've had problems with pump priming and when I get it going the backwash has been looking clear (which strikes me as weird). Today I threw in the pool robot as I'm wondering if it will speed it up.

Basically I'm worried now that it's the iron / cya solution that made it green. Not sure what to do as the wife is pestering me that we don't have a pool (aaarrrrghhhh angry face). Would like it ready by Sunday and don't really want to drop it down to 0FC to do an iron treatment unless it's really necessary.

TLDR version: green pool, shocked for 4 days now, chems all reading good, still green. Do I have an iron problem?

Thanks, I'm in a bind :(

How long was your FC allowed to be too low and let algae start to grow? It will not clean up instantly.

Please add your pool details to your signature as described HERE as it will help us help you.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ah ok, I just meant it wasn't like a swamp over winter with leaves and all that gunk.

ive read the Slam guide like a thousand times over the last year and used it at the tail end of last season (though the high cya was a problem due to my dumb new-pool-owner ways).

i just put in 1.5 cups of DE which raise my pressure 1PSI. Will check and backwash if necessary in the next hour.

Ok so I put 1.5 cups of DE in the filter to raise 1psi and repeated every hour (after backwashing). A few times I could see a load of green in the viewing capsule, so that's good.

Kept it at 20FC (35CYA) so still a little high, but I'm paranoid.

today pool looks similar, maybe a little whiter and I can just make out the main drain or maybe that's my imagination. Will continue with the de treatment today.

Still kind of bummed this this has taken so long, especially as I've turned round a proper swamp with my old equipment in about 10days :(

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.