7ft x 70ft lap pool water circulation design

I have been lurking and learning on the TFP for some time now as we prepare for a new pool (and house) build.

I would like to ask for some opinions on the plumbing design of a lap pool. The available space is constrained and we are pretty much set on a pool that is 7 feet wide by 70 feet long. I am thinking of putting the returns on one end (4 feet depth) and the drain and skimmer on the other end (4.5 feet deep) because I cannot imagine a circular flow in a long, narrow pool. This, of course, might just be a failure in my imagination so I would like to ask the opinion of others as to the placement of the the drain, skimmers, and return.

Thank you!

Martin

I think i would consider skimmers on each end so that debris is captured which ever way the wind is blowing, with the returns in the middle. A drain in the deepest end is fine if you want one, they are not really needed.

I think i would consider skimmers on each end so that debris is captured which ever way the wind is blowing, with the returns in the middle. A drain in the deepest end is fine if you want one, they are not really needed.

The other pool I help with has taught me how time consuming insufficient skimmer basket locations/quantities can be in certain places. The wind blows MIND-BLOWING LAYERS AND LAYERS of pollen, leaves, flowers, dust, dirty, and insects to the "left" end of the long oval pool - where there is no skimmer. The wind is too strong to allow any surface circulation for days and days straight. The stuff gets water logged and sinks. You can skim the surface, but it's wrecked again in hours. Losing battle. Waste of bleach, waste of time, ugly to look at. I've budgeted a 2nd skimmer for 2018. Unless you can be insanely positive about the wind and debris, skimmers on each end would be highly advisable in my opinion.

As long as you believe the water level to be well maintained, wither by autofill or manual observation/addition, I believe you can skip the bottom drain unless mandated by code where you are. It won't hurt anything though - they just don't seem to do much other than act as an insurance policy against dry pumping. I do suggest adjustable return eyes though, as being able to aim them robustly allows for awesome water flow attainment.

Martin,
We just put in a 11ft x 60ft lap pool, so similar to what you are planning. Will your pool have overflow gutters, infinity edge, etc., or will it just have normal walls like mine? My pool goes from 4ft to 6.5ft deep. Be aware that the shallower the pool the more chop you will have when swimming. I get quite a bit of chop in my pool when swimming laps at a vigorous pace, which I don't mind at all, because it simulates open water swimming and I believe works more muscles because you're doing work to keep yourself stable. Anyway, the only issue I am having with the chop is that my STA-RITE U-3 skimmer weir door constantly bangs against its stop when lap swimming, it's irritating and actually caused the weir to separate a little at its seam. I took the weir door off and am currently looking at alternate solutions to give me back the skimming action.

The reason I mentioned this is if you're doing a 7ft wide pool with no spillover gutters, infinity edge, etc and plan on swimming vigorously in it, I think you will have quite a bit of waves/chop. Consider this when you pick out your skimmers. They make skimmers with floating/circular weirs that don't have the traditional door and may work better in this application, ask your pool builder/supply. Also if putting your skimmers on ends make sure they don't interfere with your swimming turns!

A standard Olympic swim lane is a little over 8ft (2.5 meters) wide so I made my pool 11ft wide to have one 8ft lane and a 1.5ft buffer on either side, to give me the option of installing wave-eating racing lane lines if needed to reduce chop, I think adding good quality lane lines would really calm down the pool waters. But as I said, I don't mind swimming in the chop in my pool, my only issue is that skimmer weir door banging! I love my lap pool, it is very versatile and works well for exercise, kids swimming, parties, etc. Good luck.

It's great that you have 70ft length, my perfect length would have been 20 meters (65.6 feet) but I wouldn't been able to have any decking at ends of pool! I had to settle for 20 yards long, it's still plenty long for good fitness swimming which is what we wanted. I swam laps this morning as the sun came up over the canal, awesome!

Great info share on the bigger chop/wave amplitude in shallow end - certainly noticeable in my non-lap pool!

I have not used any of them, but...:
SkimDoctor 1.0
SkimDoctor 2.0 (in ground I believe)
American Skimmer Weir (addition to current skimmer basket I believe)
and probably similar products too. Make sure you order correct model/size of whatever solution you go with.

I have something like the last one, can share pictures/video if it helps. No weir door on mine.

If you buy any, please start a thread and review it for us! If you buy from Amazon, please use Amazon Smile for TFP donation at not cost to you!

There are probably other threads on TFP if you search no weir door or replacement or something.

Another option could be to add water-proof cushions on the top corners of the door - like some cabinets and drawers have, that look like little half spheres made of gel/rubber. Roughly the size of an eraser head. Might quiet them down a lot. Still might have water gushing sounds though.

Thanks Battle! When swimming laps, I think the shallower the depth the more wave energy bounces off the floor of the pool and back at the swimmer, I think this is partly why Olympic pools have to be 2 meters minimum depth with 3 meters recommended.

I actually have a SkimDoctor 2.0 in ground model that I've been evaluating with the skimmer weir door off. The basket that came with my skimmer is very light weight and with the SkimDoctor mounted it bounces around a bit with wave action, I think it will work better with a heavier basket so I purchased one, should have tomorrow. Still playing with the SkimDoctor and deciding if I can make it work with weir door off.

I'd be interested in seeing pics/video of your floating/circular weir if not too much trouble! I have a feeling that kind of setup is what I'm going to end up with.

The weir door on my skimmer bumps against the stop at the top center of the skimmer throat opening. There is a piece of adhesive foam on the stop to absorb some of the shock. The original foam piece was too high rendering it ineffective (did not contact door). I called Pentair and they sent me a new foam piece, I installed it properly, but not really much better. My weir door has split at the seam due to the banging, I just don't think it's going to work no matter what kind of cushion I install on the stop. Thanks.

Believe me, I've searched on TFP for all possible combinations regarding weir door banging, floating/circular weir, etc. LOL!!!:D

I recently looked at a house with a 10 x 82 ft lap pool.

I couldn't really tell what was going on with the water circulation in it-- there were jets as one would expect, but what I mean is that I couldn't tell if it was supposed to create a circular type flow, or just some mixing.

There was a bottom drain in the center of the pool.

It also had one of those installed-in-the-floor, multiple-jet style cleaning systems. I've read up on those a bit-- seems to be the expected pros and cons, some people like them, some people have horror stories. Regardless, it did get me thinking about the idea that an 82 x 10 pool is undoubtedly different from what most folks have in the backyard, thus it may require some less traditional options in order to optimize such a pool.

Martin,
If I had a do over on my skimmer, instead of the STA-RITE U-3 skimmer that pool builder installed, I would have gone with a skimmer that is compatible with either a traditional flap weir (skimmer inlet door) or a circular/floating weir (in that case the door could be removed), such as possibly the Pentair Admiral S20. If you are planning no overflow gutters, infinity edge etc. to absorb the wave action, I think you will find a flap weir skimmer to be non-optimal. Just some friendly advice, good luck! Or just ditch the skimmer and go with a surface skimming robot instead!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Wow, great information all around (LapPool)Mike! I didn't consider at all that the wave/chop would affect the flap greatly. The only place to put an overflow gutter would be at one end, so I don't think it will absorb any wave action. We are definitely okay with swimming in a bit of choppy water.

We are very open to the idea of a surface skimming robot; do they really work?

I am about to buy some stuff from Amazon, most notably, a pump. How do I use Amazon Smile? I have not heard of this before, but will research right after I post this.

Thank you!

Wow, great information all around (LapPool)Mike! I didn't consider at all that the wave/chop would affect the flap greatly. The only place to put an overflow gutter would be at one end, so I don't think it will absorb any wave action. We are definitely okay with swimming in a bit of choppy water.

We are very open to the idea of a surface skimming robot; do they really work?

I am about to buy some stuff from Amazon, most notably, a pump. How do I use Amazon Smile? I have not heard of this before, but will research right after I post this.

Thank you!

smile.amazon.com - Enter your non-profit of choice. Experience is identical to what you are used to.

Yep! This link will auto-suggest you set your charity as TFP. After the page appears to be fully loaded, wait up to 5 seconds for the auto-suggestion prompt to appear. Select TFP then shop on smile.amazon instead of amazon.com for donations to be made! Even after setting the charity, amazon.com purchases will not donate, only smile.amazon.com. Same prices. Thanks!
Also, please make AmazonSmile donate to TFP by CLICKING HERE, at no cost to you!

...I cannot imagine a circular flow in a long, narrow pool.

I had the same thought when doing my pool. Here is a quick napkin sketch of what the return locations and return head selections do with the water in my pool. It kind of subdivides the pool into zones for circulation.

c6cec0992c801496cc268f1d5a258862.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.