Help my Hayward s240 is leaking under the skirt What can I do?!

Jul 19, 2017
Anniston al
I Just hooked up a used Hayward s240 sand filter. put in new sand and turned on everything is okay except water is coming out from under the skirt. It does not come out when off ..that I can tell or when on waste, only on filter or recirculate. I can't really tell where it is coming from I am hoping it might be the little drain with the plug and I can just replace from outside (I really hope that is something possible). Does anyone have any ideas...also this is a side mount valve. I checked the ring no water seems to be coming from there or from the valve or pipes...I really think it is from underneath. I am a novice and hope that I don't have to take all the plumbing apart again or empty all the sand but it is losing a good bit of water. Thanks for any help. I am about ready to feel in the pool and call it quits. :(

The easy answer is the drain plug is not tight enough or bad gasket in the drain cap, but that is not under the skirt, but maybe running down onto the skirt giving that appearance. If not that, the only thing I can think of would be a crack in the bottom of the filter. That is a bit more difficult to inspect. Are you sure leak is coming from under the skirt vs around the skirt?

- - - Updated

Just pulled up schematic for the Hayward s240 sand filter and it appears that the drain is under the skirt so I am assuming that is the problem. The bigger problem is to get to it you will probably have to take it apart. Probably only leaks when pump is on because increased pressure, when off no pressure and leak is very slow or non existent. Since you are new to the forum click on the blue colored words "Haywaard s240 sand filter" above and it is a link to take you to the schematic so you can see your the parts on your filter.

Thanks for the advice. I looked at the schematic and it appears that the drain line just screws in. Is this something I can just turn from outside the skirt to tighten or maybe screw out and put a new gasket on. Or do I have to turn the filter over to look under the skirt? I felt under the end of the drain tube that is exposed and it feels dry so I don't think that it is leaking from the exposed end

That is a good question. From the schematic I would say yes as the drain tube looks straight. What is not shown is what it screws into, but before I would take it all apart I would first try and tighten the tube, if leak does not stop, unscrew it which will drain the filter see if you can get another 0 ring and screw it back in. May also want to go to the pool store for the 0 ring and while there see if they have a better schematic of the bottom. But try just tightening 1st.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.