filling new water what chemicals to start salt system

You will need bleach, stabilizer, and of course salt. Depending on your pH and TA, you will probably need some muriatic. On Tapatalk, I do not see a signature, so I am not sure what type of pool surface you have or how many gallons for pool. You can determine how much you will need using Pool Math.

You need the bleach until you are able to start up SWG.

based on book from SWG looks like i need 550 pounds of salt, 7 pounds of stabilizer

how much bleach??

if i understand correct ... im suppose to get water to the specs..
ph ~ 7
ta ~100

next step salt?? 550 lbs
stabilizer ~7lbs
how much bleach??

and thats all????

If your pool is vinyl liner, add salt and let the SWCG get started. You should add enough bleach to get to your target FC, and let the SWCG keep it there. You will need some muriatic acid to control pH. pH and TA have to do with the alkalinity of your fill water. Zero is not possible for either. Sounds like you need a test kit, or you will be flying blind on this.

You probably will not need any other chemicals until you have the results of your water test. Everyone at TFP will be glad to help you out, if you are willing to get a proper test kit. We simply do not trust the results from pool stores or guess strips. You can spend a few minutes and read some recent threads and I am positive you will find several posts by moderators and others detailing why and explaining the foundation of TFP - the relationship between FC and CYA stabilizer.

Just glancing at the threads you started, we are in similar situations where we found TFP before building the pool. I received so much advice here, I decided that I would follow the philosophy from day 1 - later deciding I wanted SWG before Pool completed. My pool has truly been trouble free. This is my third summer and this what I have bought this year (since the end of last swim season)
TFTTest kit refills - 40
3 bags salt - 15
4lb stabilizer -17
2 gallons bleach - 7
Looks like I will probably need some muriatic acid before end of year so that will be another 12.
Never even had a hint of algae - ever.

As for the chemicals, I simply used pool math from this site and plugged in the numbers.

If you were me, I would get 3 gals of 8.25% bleach - because that is what my grocery store has at a good price. And use what pool math tells me to target FC 5. The rest can be used later or worst case stored in laundry room.
12 lbs of stabilizer - using enough to target CYA 60 and after the number has settled since I was not exactly sure I had accurate gallons, move that to 80.
13 bags of salt (520 lbs). I would add 9 bags to start, wait a day and test to see where I am at - once again because I am not sure about pool size and do not want to overshoot my goal of 3200 by too much.
A 2 pack of muriatic acid from Home Depot. I also get the blue bag of salt here because it is less than 5 bucks and works just fine.

Jan,

If you haven't ordered your test kit you should order it asap. You're gonna need it. TF 100 is much preferred. Also, it will be helpful if you put the information about your pool in the signature block.

Welcome to easy pool care that works!

Best regards,

Chris

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.