EasyTouch 4 circuit not communicating with pump

I've got an EasyTouch 4-circuit / IntelliChlor that won't communicate with the variable speed pump. I can turn the pump on by pushing one of the 4 button on the pump itself but when it's in "running schedule" mode it doesn't do anything. The Salt Cell comes on during the scheduled time but the pump doesn't. I've also got screenlogic with a protocal adapter hardwired to the EasyTouch but I can't connect to that either. ALSO, the protocal Adapter is really hot. Pentair thought the board could be bad and it's amping up the power to the adapter. They suggested calling a pool company.......but I wouldn't be a member of Trouble Free Pool if I didn't like doing stuff myself.

Any help would be awesome. Thanks.

m,

As Gary says, the adapter should not be hot... Unplug it and see if you can then communicate with the pump via your main control panel. If the pump is "talking" to the EasyTouch, the pump's display will say... "Display not Active"

Jim R.

I unplugged the protocol adapter but that didn't help. I assumed the motherboard was shot so......I purchased a new one....but that didn't do the trick either. Could it be the SWG board? The SWG comes on fine at the scheduled time but the pump just doesn't get the message to turn on. The 4 low voltage circuit breakers seem fine although the 12amp seems like its out a tiny bit more than the others. I don't know how you can tell if its tripped. Could it be the transformers?
How can I trouble shoot this?

Attachments

• IMG_0702.jpg
    IMG_0702.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_0701.jpg
    IMG_0701.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 46
M,

If the SWCG comes on AND reports back to the ET with valid % of output readings that you can adjust at the EasyTouch then your main board com port is good. And the SWCG board is not the problem..

When you installed your new board did you go through and reprogram everything? Is your ScreenLogic working now or not??

The first thing I would do is see if ScreenLogic is working and then review the configuration pages to make sure everything is set up correctly.

When the pump is connected, does the display say "Display not Active" or not???

Thanks,

Jim R.

No I still can't connect to ScreenLogic. I'm not sure how to tell if the SWCG reports back to the ET with a valid %.
The adapter may be shot for all I know, the light is red on the front. Green light on the back.
After I installed the board, I changed the EasyTouch to "service" mode and hit the "F" button. The SWCG comes on but the pump does nothing. Tried to turn on the Aux button which turns on our bubblers but still nothing.
The pump display just says 0 rpm, running schedule.
We had a big thunderstorm the night before this happened so I figured the board got screwed up.

M,

A lightning strike took out the com port on my main board a few weeks ago..

Go to menu, settings, IntelliFlo, pump 1 and see if the pump type shows up as VS... If not change it to VS.

I've got to call it a night, so if no go, we can work on it tomorrow..

Jim R.

m,

Something that I noticed this morning...

Service Mode is like a Manual mode.. The pump is no longer controlled by the com port. Pushing the "F" button will turn on the pump/filter relay, which should give you lights on the SWCG, but it should not turn on the pump. When in this condition the display will read 0 RPM...

In the Service mode the pump is controlled from the pump's control panel.

Which main board do you have installed? The new one or the original one?

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thanks for all your help Jim. I see what your saying with the Service mode. I have the new board in now and I decided to remove the SWG and the protocol adapter wires from the Comm port and just have the pump wires only. Turned everything back on and SUCESS, the pump display says "Display not active", which it should in auto mode. Then the pump came on, since it was scheduled to. BUT when I add the jumper cable from the SWG board to the comm port, the pump display says 0 RPM again. I feel like we're getting close.

m,

You are doing just what I would do... one device at a time.

Please double check the wires color codes on the cable between the SWCG card and the main board com port..

Sounds like your SWG card is bad, although it could also be the cell itself.. I would remove the cell by disconnecting the cable at the bottom of the EasyTouch. With the cell disconnected, if the com port starts working, you'll know that the cell is most likely bad.

Thanks,

Jim R.

- - - Updated - - -

m,

For reference, when I took my lightning strike they had to replace the main EasyTouch board, the SWG board and the protocol adapter to get everything up and running again..

Jim R.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
m,

You are doing just what I would do... one device at a time.

Please double check the wires color codes on the cable between the SWCG card and the main board com port..

Sounds like your SWG card is bad, although it could also be the cell itself.. I would remove the cell by disconnecting the cable at the bottom of the EasyTouch. With the cell disconnected, if the com port starts working, you'll know that the cell is most likely bad.

Thanks,

Jim R.

- - - Updated - - -

m,

For reference, when I took my lightning strike they had to replace the main EasyTouch board, the SWG board and the protocol adapter to get everything up and running again..

Jim R.

Jim, did you have a surge protector at the equipment pad at the time of the strike, or was the strike just too direct and overwhelming for the protector?

Gary,

I do have a surge suppresser inside the ET.. the problem is I don't think the surge came in on the AC power line, but rather it hit one of the network cables.. It took out almost everything that was hard wired to the network.

This caused damage to my ET because, like the OP, I too had hardwired the protocol adapter to the network instead of using the wireless connection...

Thanks,

Jim R.

Gary,

I do have a surge suppresser inside the ET.. the problem is I don't think the surge came in on the AC power line, but rather it hit one of the network cables.. It took out almost everything that was hard wired to the network.

This caused damage to my ET because, like the OP, I too had hardwired the protocol adapter to the network instead of using the wireless connection...

Thanks,

Jim R.

Yeah, even though the RS-485 standard has some pretty good over voltage and short circuit specs, a lightning strike could easily exceed that. I have seen strikes that completely blew a transformer off of a power pole. That is some kind of power!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.