Need help with installing a Pentair PL4 controller

tenndoc

Silver Supporter
Jun 30, 2013
Tullahoma, TN
Took the advice from this forum last year and purchased the above controller to automate my solar collectors. I've attached a picture of the instructions that are confusing. The instructions seem to tell me to take the incoming power and wire the transformer accordingly. Not shown is the bus bar that is on the left side of the box. Normally, power comes into the box and is attached to the bus bar and everything else attaches to the breakers installed on to the bus bar.
Looking over the instructions it would appear that everything runs through the transformer and not through breakers!
My thought is to power the bus bar and wire the transformer to a breaker.
Anyone have any ideas on how this wires up?

Thanks -

tenndoc
229ab50010406dfb8524e5cf1c3a90bc.jpg

20x40 IG, Hayward maxflo vs, tagelus t60 sand filter, Taylor test kit, diy solar panels for heating pool water, full size solar blanket to keep the heat we get and of course -
'More fun than you can shake a stick at'

TD,

What you have is a EasyTouch PL4.. the "L" stands for lite as in no taste... :p

I was under the impression that these units did not have an internal circuit breaker system.

I could well be wrong.... ??? Can you post a picture of the inside of the actual unit and not the diagram on the door..

Thanks,

Jim R.

TD,

What you have is a EasyTouch PL4.. the "L" stands for lite as in no taste... [emoji14]

I was under the impression that these units did not have an internal circuit breaker system.

I could well be wrong.... ??? Can you post a picture of the inside of the actual unit and not the diagram on the door..

Thanks,

Jim R.
Sure. Here's a picture -

Thanks.
c814935be1033e21f17881d7ba485dcf.jpg

20x40 IG, Hayward maxflo vs, tagelus t60 sand filter, Taylor test kit, diy solar panels for heating pool water, full size solar blanket to keep the heat we get and of course -

td,

If you compare the operating panel you will see that you have an EasyTouch 4, which is not the same as a PL4 which is what your first picture shows...

The ET4 has a load center and of course the input power would come into the load center and then through the circuit breakers and then to whatever you want to power.

Are you planning on wiring it with the wire shown, or is that just for some quick test??

Thanks,

Jim R.

That is my plan, yes. It's 12 Gage wire. You think I should go with a thicker Gage?
And thanks Jim for your help!

td,

Most wire in white casing is 14 ga... Yellow is 12 ga and orange is 10 ga.

I would wire between the main panel and your EasyTouch with #10, 3 wire plus ground. That will give you a red and black wire for your 220 volts in and white for your Neutral buss an a copper for you ground buss..

I "assumed" you using 220 volts just because of how you currently have to wired... If you plan to only use 120 volts, your current set up won't work the way it is wired..

Thanks,

Jim R.

The first 2 Big decisions are: 1. Are you going to wire for 120v or 220, 2 phase or 3 phase?? 2. What other equipment are you going to run off the load center? Try to add all the ratings in Amps. This will give you a proper gauge wire to use, but if you want to be safe dont go below 10 gauge. Will be a good idea to install a surge protector on you load center where you will be attaching the ET4.

Felipe

Thanks Jim. I will certainly double check the Gage.
So I should connect the transformer to a circuit breaker as I had planned?
Yes, I'm wiring the system 220 so I can power the pump through the controller along with the IC60.
As always, your help is greatly appreciated.

L1(110v) and L2(110v) are wired to each copper strip of the load center. Ground goes to the Horizontal aluminum strip. Wire the Black and Yellow from the transformer to a double breaker on the load center, the violet wire should be capped.

Felipe

td,

I suggested using #10 assuming you plan to run the pump, the panel and a SWCG, plus maybe a pool light and LED yard lights, etc... If you plan to add some heavy duty stuff like a heater, you will really need to know the total load so you can use the right size wire and circuit breaker in the main panel.

You really need a cable with 3 wires plus a copper ground. You need this because some things, like your pump, will run off of 220 volts, but other things, like a pool light, will need 120 volts. Using the copper wire for the neutral is not safe nor does it meet code... In a subpanel, the neutral and ground are two different things and they should never connect to each other...

Wiring the system transformer to its own circuit breaker is not required, but that is how I have all of mine wired and I think it is a good idea.

I also noticed that you said you have an IC60... I'm surprised that you bought an EasyTouch without the built-in SWCG power supply. Did you already own the IC60 before buying the ET??

And... since I'm on a roll... :p Make sure you wire the external SWCG power supply through the Pump/Filter relay so that the SWCG is only on when the pump is on..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
L1(110v) and L2(110v) are wired to each copper strip of the load center. Ground goes to the Horizontal aluminum strip. Wire the Black and Yellow from the transformer to a double breaker on the load center, the violet wire should be capped.

Felipe
Thanks FT!

td,

I suggested using #10 assuming you plan to run the pump, the panel and a SWCG, plus maybe a pool light and LED yard lights, etc... If you plan to add some heavy duty stuff like a heater, you will really need to know the total load so you can use the right size wire and circuit breaker in the main panel.

You really need a cable with 3 wires plus a copper ground. You need this because some things, like your pump, will run off of 220 volts, but other things, like a pool light, will need 120 volts. Using the copper wire for the neutral is not safe nor does it meet code... In a subpanel, the neutral and ground are two different things and they should never connect to each other...

Wiring the system transformer to its own circuit breaker is not required, but that is how I have all of mine wired and I think it is a good idea.

I also noticed that you said you have an IC60... I'm surprised that you bought an EasyTouch without the built-in SWCG power supply. Did you already own the IC60 before buying the ET??

And... since I'm on a roll... [emoji14] Make sure you wire the external SWCG power supply through the Pump/Filter relay so that the SWCG is only on when the pump is on..

Thanks,

Jim R.
Thanks Jim. You guys are awesome!

I'll run the pump, swcg, and the actuator for the solar panel lines. There are instructions on wiring the swcg and the pump together in the panel so they only run together.
Typically I've run the pump 24/7 but at a reduced rpm during peak hours. The plan is to completely turn everything off during peak hours using the controller.

Thanks again.

I was going to suggest that you can even go the distance and disassemble the power supply of the SWG and install the transformer inside the ET, but that will void your warranty.

Felipe

While I appreciate the thought FV, don't know I could pull that off. Although, it is something to think about.

Looked things over and the et4 has a place for the swcg transformer!

Had some 10/3 wire so I swapped out the 12/2. Using the Black and White as L1 & L2 with red going to the vertical ground and the bare wire to the horizontal ground as FV advised. Is this the correct way to use the red wire? How do I connect everything in the sub-panel coming into the pool house?
There's 220 coming in to the panel. The pump is connected to 2 - 20 amp breakers wired using 12/2 wire. How does the red wire connect? To the same ground?

I appreciate everyone's help.

Remove the 2-20amp from the board and install them the same way on the ET4. I believe its better to use the red as L1, Black as L2 and white as Neutral on vertical. Bare wire to horizontal is ok this is Ground. On your sub-panel board connect the red to one side(110) and the black to the other side(110). You can post a picture of your sub-panel and we can let you know where to connect Neutral and Ground. Sometimes there is just neutral or ground or both.

Felipe

Here's a shot of the sub-panel that powers the pool house.

Thanks.
41b287f638675c6dd4dcace07c3ca509.jpg

Ok, it looks like the 2 short 0 gauge wires are L1,L2. The long 0 gauge wire is Neutral. Dont confuse Neutral with Ground. I would suggest you use the same gauge 0 wire from this box to the ET4, just to have extra room for load on the ET4. Remember if you want to wire for 110v, you use L1+Neutral. For 220v, you use L1+L2. If you are going to wire several 110v, then make sure you spread the load between L1 and L2 so there is no imbalance. Personally I would mount the SWG transformer inside the ET4 for a neater installation.

Felipe

Yes. Neutral completes a 110v circuit while the ground wire provides a place for current to go when things go wrong.
My plan was to exit the sub-panel through the twin 20 amp breakers with the power to the et4 using the 10/3 wire. I have a couple of lengths of what looks to be about a 4 Gage wire and I see no way to tie in to the sub-panel coming from the main in the house.
I appreciate you guys taking the time and effort to walk me through this.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.