New pool build - Arkansas

3monkeys

Gold Supporter
Apr 19, 2017
NW Arkansas
Well, we've officially begun the build as they started digging today. It's only taken 5 weeks since they marked it. :rolleyes: It's amazing how much dirt comes out of there. The only bummer is all of the boys are at camp this week and missed the dig. I'm sure they won't mind seeing a big hole in the yard when they get back though.

IMG_3757.jpg

Congrats on the big hole in your backyard! :wink: Hopefully they get that done soon so you can enjoy a few weeks before the end of summer. As for the boys, I know the feeling. In my pool build photos, there's a pic of my boys standing in the hole. Good luck!

Welcome to TFP! :wave: Wow, great start here - picture AND an information signature!

Wow - that is a lot of dirt! Your boys would have enjoyed the dig, but there's plenty more for them to see! Like you said, the big giant hole in the backyard will be a treat.

When you can, I'd love to see the pool plan/drawing.

Do you have any questions about the equipment or anything else?

Thanks for sharing your build with us!
Suz

View attachment Pool.pdfThanks

I've attached our plan. Our PB is old school (absolutely love him so far) so I don't have one of those fancy renderings like most people. :p Also, we've modified this somewhat. It originally started out as a 18x37 but has morphed into about 20x41 with a 6' tanning shelf.

I have one question (well several actually but one for now) about the lights. It's somewhat hard to see but we're getting two Pentair LED lights and they're marked on the plan. My question is do you think 2 lights are enough to light up the entire pool?

As for equipment, I think we're all set. Of course, I keep questioning myself on the gas heater vs electric. Hopefully, it won't cost a fortune to run the gas heater. We still have to finalize the plaster color, decking color, and tile. But, the boss gets to make those decisions. :D

If your lights are the 5G led then your ok but if they are globrites (smaller ones) then you will need 4. Just make sure your lights are not in the swim lane and they point away from the house.
Our measurements after dig should be 8 inches to 1 ft bigger on all ends of the pool to account for steel , gunite, etc.
I would still post your equipment here so the experts can take a look and make sure you are ready to go. A extra set of eyes never hurts
Will

Thanks Will. We are using the 5G so that's good news. I'm more than happy to post my equipment and get everyone's opinion. Our equipment is as follows:

Pentair VS pump
TA-60 filter
IC60
Raypak 399K BTU heater

Also, I will be purchasing a Dolphin in the next few weeks.

Well we have rebar now. Electrician should be out today and we'll start pouring on Wednesday (hopefully!) Everything has went fairly smoothly with the exception of the digging crew taking a chunk of our roof. :( Getting closer!!

20170715_183815.jpg20170715_183857.jpg20170715_183939.jpg

Oh Nooo on the roof!!! Is the digging crew already setting up repairs for you and payment? Accidents do happen. If they take care of it, and there's no permanent damage, you can move on.

I'll say this, the dig and rebar looks neatly and well done! It will definitely look more like a pool once the gunite is complete!

Is the plumbing stubs going in tomorrow or right before gunite?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Good question. They're there today stubbing it out. I just talked to my PB and he said he only goes through the floor on rectangular pools. Hopefully we have plumbing in this thing...

So no floor drains? Wow - I am having 2 drains and 2 returns in the floor of my free-form pool.

Congrats on your new build...this will be a very interesting one to watch with an old school PB. I'm so curious on the plumbing as well...

There are many ways to do the plumbing. Before or after steel.......each PB thinks their way is the best way and it is for them.

Main drains are not a have to. Most above ground pools do not have them and do just fine. So long as you have enough returns and good skimmer action you can circulate the water just fine. Saying that a main drain is good in they do help mix the water up if you have a deep pool.

To drain a pool with no main drain you would have and use a sub pump when needed. I would make sure you had an overflow tube put in the skimmer so you don't have to worry about rain causing problems.

Kim:kim:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.