Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: chlorine and your hair/skin

1. Back To Top    #1

chlorine and your hair/skin

I don't have the luxury of having an outdoor shower, so I usually wait until a while after my swim to shower inside, as do my kids.

I guess my question is, is shampoo necessary to wash chlorine out of your hair, or would simply rinsing off with the water hoses and getting your hair pretty good do just as good? I was thinking about maybe keeping some conditioner out by the hose and just putting a bit in and leaving it after I rinse my hair. Any thoughts on this?
    Pam
    approx. 30000 gallon IG 40x20 vinyl pool w/ cartridge filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: chlorine and your hair/skin

Get some Nexxus Aloe Rid shampoo. It contains sodium thiosulfate,which is a chlorine neutralizer (same stuff used to neutralize chlorine in swimming pools, btw!) It will quickly stop any oxidative damage from the chlorine. (I've been a licensed Cosmetologist and Barber for over 30 years now so I know just a bit about this as well as a bit about pools )

Use it when you get in the house. Putting conditioner on your hair by the pool won't accomplish much, btw.

FWIW, your hair will probably suffer more damage from the sun than from the chlorine in your pool. If you are really worried about it or if you have chemically processed hair the best solution is to wear a swim cap (pretty much a relic now but were available just about everywhere in the '60s when I was a kid!
    Here are some fun ones based on the old 60's designs
    http://wbhswim.com/vintage_caps.html
    http://www.headcovers.com/400/petal-swim-caps/
    Now they are pretty much worn just by competition swimmers and look like these:
    http://www.speedousa.com/family/index.j ... m=swim+cap )

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by waterbear
    (I've been a licensed Cosmetologist and Barber for over 30 years now so I know just a bit about this as well as a bit about pools )

)
    Dang waterbear. You are the talented one. I'm impressed
    Just checked out the vintage ones. LMAO
    Lynn

16x38 FG, 20,400G, 1HP/2sp Tristar pump, Hayward 425sq ft cart. filter, Pro Logic4, SWCG, 3 returns, 2 main drains, 1 skimmer, 4 Pentair deck jets, Hayward Phantom pressure cleaner/booster pump, TF-100 of course :-)orthofish-s-pool-build-finally-t13179.html

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by orthofish

Dang waterbear. You are the talented one. I'm impressed
    I can also walk and chew gum at the same time!

5. Back To Top    #5

Get some Nexxus Aloe Rid shampoo. It contains sodium thiosulfate,which is a chlorine neutralizer (same stuff used to neutralize chlorine in swimming pools, btw!) It will quickly stop any oxidative damage from the chlorine. (I've been a licensed Cosmetologist and Barber for over 30 years now so I know just a bit about this as well as a bit about pools )

Use it when you get in the house. Putting conditioner on your hair by the pool won't accomplish much, btw.

FWIW, your hair will probably suffer more damage from the sun than from the chlorine in your pool. If you are really worried about it or if you have chemically processed hair the best solution is to wear a swim cap (pretty much a relic now but were available just about everywhere in the '60s when I was a kid!
    Here are some fun ones based on the old 60's designs
    http://wbhswim.com/vintage_caps.html
    http://www.headcovers.com/400/petal-swim-caps/
    Now they are pretty much worn just by competition swimmers and look like these:
    http://www.speedousa.com/family/index.j ... m=swim+cap )

18x33 15700 Gal Oval Above Ground
    Ranger Sand Filter w/Praher Multi Port Valve
    A.O. Smith 1.5 hp Pump
    Confer E9120 Steps
    BBB And Sparkling Clean.

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

Keep in mind that tap water usually has a chlorine reading of about 1-2ppm which is similar to that of a pool so it's not like you are bleaching your hair when you use your pool..
    -Kevin
    X-Pert Pool Service
    x-pertpool.com
    X-Pert Pool on Facebook and @XPertPoolServic on Twitter
    22,000 gal / 16' x 32' / Vinyl / Hayward s244t /Pentair SuperFlo 1 hp

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by X-PertPool
    Keep in mind that tap water usually has a chlorine reading of about 1-2ppm which is similar to that of a pool so it's not like you are bleaching your hair when you use your pool..
    Not quite true around here which is why our pools are trouble free. The CPO course has been heavily influenced by the stabilized chlorine industry over the years and doesn't tell you the whole truth.
    Read and learn and if you want to know more just ask:
    pool-school/chlorine_cya_chart_shock

As you can see 4-5 ppm FC is much more common.
    Also, the chlorine in drinking water is usually in the form of cloramines and not FC so it's effect is a bit different.

8. Back To Top    #8

I can also walk and chew gum at the same time!

You gotta love a guy that can multitask!
    — AnnaK —

12,000 gal AGP, Hayward sand filter, Pentair 2-speed pump, timer.
    Please visit our Pool Issues pages for information about step weights, managing the solar cover, and PoolSkim.

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by AnnaK
    But then I always wake up....
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by frustratedpoolmom
    Quote Originally Posted by AnnaK
    But then I always wake up....
    I TOLD you all that I am a Cosmetologist. Have you ever known one that couldn't multitask?

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by X-PertPool
    Looking at Free Chlorine (FC) by itself is pointless if one does not also look at the Cyanuric Acid (CYA) level. The amount of "active" chlorine (hypochlorous acid) that does the bleaching is far, far lower in pools with CYA. At the normal FC/CYA levels recommended on this forum to prevent algae growth, these are equivalent to roughly 0.1 ppm FC with no CYA so far less harsh than tap water in terms of bleaching effects (and in practice the main effect seen even with chlorine in tap water or in indoor pools with no CYA is degradation of rubber so elasticity in swim suits).

Now total FC is relevant when one considers drinking the water since then it's the chlorine capacity and not its rate of reaction that is more relevant, but people should not be drinking quarts of pool water every day.

See these graphs to get an idea of what really happens with chlorine in water with CYA in it. This isn't taught in current NSPF CPO and APSP TECH courses.

Richard
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"