Just finished filling new pool - do I shock it now or wait to get a proper test kit?

Jul 8, 2017
Cannington, ON
I just finished setting up and filling my 16 x 48" pool (yay, everything seems to work).

I bought some supplies from Walmart, but after reading the instructions posted here and a few other sites, I'm not sure what my next step would be.

To shock the pool, I bought "Clorox Pool & Spa Quick Shock", and chlorine stabilize, a bucket of 3" chlorine pucks and a floating chlorinator, and testing strips (although I have read now that those aren't very good).

Now that I'm looking at the package of Quick Shock, it says on it "step 3". It also says to use the whole package (454g) on pool opening, but other directions on the pack say to use 165g per 10,000 liters of pool water (my pool would be about 20,000 - so that would be about 2/3 of the package).

Right now the water is clear, fresh from the city water line.

I will be able to buy a proper test kit tomorrow at a real pool store. Until then, I'm wondering if I should shock the pool tonight with the package that I have?

Hello and welcome to TFP! :wave: Congrats on the new pool. New water doesn't need to be shocked, just chlorinated properly. Here are some easy steps to get you going:
1 - Add stabilizer for a CYA goal of "30" for now. See below for more.
2 - Add enough regular bleach for a free chlorine (FC) level of about 3 tonight, then tomorrow increase to about 5. Never let the FC drop below 3.
3 - Check pH and adjust to the mid-7 range.

That should help get you going for now. Make sure to read/bookmark the vital links below in my signature. If you have more questions, please let us know.
To increase CYA via granular stabilizer, place the required amount as calculated by the Poolmath calculator into a white sock and place in the poolside skimmer basket. For those concerned about suction flow to the pump, suspending the sock near a return jet or from a floating device will also suffice. Best never to allow undissolved granules to rest directly against the pool surface. Squeeze the sock periodically to help it dissipate. Once dissolved, consider your CYA adjusted to that programmed (target) level. CYA test readings should show a rise in 24-48 hours, however some pools may experience a longer delay to fully register. Best to confirm final CYA in about 5-7 days before adding any more stabilizer/conditioner.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.