New(er) pool owner, very stubborn brownish stains

My pump has been continuously running for the SLAM and I've had my vacuum in and running since last night.

5:00pm
FC 17.5
CC 0

I lost just a little FC during the day today.

I can try taking the ladder out possibly tonight and leaving it out overnight.

If I still can't hold FC for the OCLT, what's next? I keep my cartridges clean (I have 2 that I rotate) and they are both about 5 years old, could this be a potential trouble area?

Yeah I thought the same thing, but maybe it is finally stabilizing.

I just tested at 8:10pm

FC 19.5
CC 0

My FC actually went up on it's own since my last test at 5pm, hopefully that's good! I just added some chlorine to raise the FC for the OCLT.

Alright, I'm starting to feel better. I just tested:

5:10pm
FC 15
CC 0

The chlorine appears to be holding pretty well, I haven't put anything in today. My wife and kids used the pool today, and it's been pretty sunny all day.

Should I do another OCLT tonight?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'd continue the slam through the weekend to see if you can get the overnight loss less than 1 ppm. I also had trouble getting below the 1 ppm threshold. Mine might have been due to the large number of insects committing suicide every night.

If you’ve got a leaves or insects falling into you pool, try covering it up at night. Just make sure you don’t have any grass clippings or anything on the cover first.

So an interesting update this morning. Last night I brought my FC up pretty high, I added a full jug at 7:30pm then tested a little over an hour later:

8:45pm
FC 30
CC 0

This morning at 6:20am
FC 18.5
CC 0

We had a lot of rain early this morning which could be related, but the only other thing that changed was that I shut off my heater at 7:30 last night when adding the chlorine. Does water temperature or having the heater on or off during a SLAM matter? I didn't think it did but now I'm wondering..

I tried a somewhat aggressive approach today and sprinkled 3 x 12 oz bags of granulated Cal Hypo 73% on the stains and it made a noticeable difference in lightening up my brown stains. I'm wondering if it is some type of algae. The Cal Hypo brought my FC up to 37.5, and a test 2 hours later the FC was at 36. I'm going to try to maintain it above 30 for the next few days to try burn off whatever it is.

Shortly after adding the granulated shock, the shock caused some of the water above the stains to turn green and the water also became a bit cloudy.

My CC has been testing between 0 and less than 0.5 so that I think is a good thing.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.