Bright green backwash water

Jun 30, 2017
Lexington, AL
We SLAMed our pool this week after having green/cloudy water ALL year. We tried every chemical the pool store recommended to no avail. It only took 2 days of balancing CYA and bleach levels to get the water clear. We are still having some brown spots on the bottom( I'm assuming dead algae) and continuing to try to vacuum them up. However, when I backwash the water that comes out is still bright green. Is this normal ? Still learning....

Also, when you backwash make sure to run the backwash until the water in the site glass is clear. Then rise until the water in the site glass is clear. You should not be seeing green water coming out of the backwash if the water in the pool is clear.

I had a standard test kit but since the FC only goes to 5, I have ordered a DPD titration kit so that I can test at higher levels. My CYA is at 50ppm. I will wait until my test kit gets here until I begin the SLAM process again so I'm not wasting my time and money on chlorine. So I need to maintain shock level until everything (including backwash water) is clear and then pass the OCLT? I'm almost ready to bulldoze this pool and its only our second year with it!

I had a standard test kit but since the FC only goes to 5, I have ordered a DPD titration kit so that I can test at higher levels. My CYA is at 50ppm. I will wait until my test kit gets here until I begin the SLAM process again so I'm not wasting my time and money on chlorine. So I need to maintain shock level until everything (including backwash water) is clear and then pass the OCLT? I'm almost ready to bulldoze this pool and its only our second year with it!

I hate to hear you're ready to bulldoze the pool. With a good test kit and some knowledge, pool keeping really can be troublefree. It isn't unusual for the backwash water to be grayish from DEAD algae caught in the filter but not bright green.

Starting off with a green pool and pool store advice is a good way to learn to hate your pool. Step back and look at it objectively. A proper test kit and a bunch of bleach can run you a couple hundred bucks. But how much did you already spend at the pool store without any benefit? Look at this as a learning experience.

Once the pool is tamed and you're in control, pool care gets very easy. I spend a grand total of about an hour a week and about $300 a year keeping my pool clear. That's 365 days. We don't have winter as such where I live. Just another few days and the water will be clearer than you ever thought possible and from that point on, daily care will become about as mindless and time consuming as brushing your teeth.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.