Cloudy Pool (algae bloom, 0 cya)

Jun 29, 2017
Spencer
Some background: Bought a house, pool is new to us. We opened it, but needed to replace the pump, then needed to replace part of the filter in some plumbing. Pool was crystal clear when we opened, unfortunately sat around not running in the sun while we fixed it, so as expected we had a horrible algae bloom. We shocked it initially, got the algae from dark green down to a blue but very cloudy pool. We are stuck there. At that point the PH was crazy high so we brought that down, I thought that was the reason the chlorine wasn't clearing the pool. I initially thought the algae was dead but still in the water so we tried floccing, didn't help at all. So I suspect it's still an active algae bloom, especially since getting a better test kit and finding out the CYA is 0, and the chlorine reading is 0 24 hours after shocking.

It's a 15x30 aboveground pool, approx 12,000 gallons, sand filter, vinyl liner.
Last testing levels were:

Free chlorine: 0
CYA: 0
Alk: 80 ppm (slightly low for vinyl I think but I don't think we should adjust til we get this worked out? Or should we?)
PH: 7.2

So... we need to up the CYA and then shock it right? I feel like we're going in circles at this point and I'm not sure where to go from here. Can someone help me figure out what to add, in what order, and how long to wait in between?

I'm reading the SLAM method and trying to figure this out... so should we be raising the CYA first? Or just getting it to shock level where it's at now? If I'm reading the calculators right, I need to get to 10ppm FC with the low stabilizer method, and I need 208 oz of bleach to do that? Then keep adding bleach as needed to keep the FC at 10?

I'd raise the CYA to 30, put the stabilizer in a sock and hang it in front of the return, give it a squeeze every so often until it's all dissolved. SLAM away based on the chlorine / cya chart. Make sure you follow all the steps outlined in the SLAM instructions and most of all be patient. You're done with a SLAM once you pass the 3 requirements below.

• CC is 0.5 or lower;
  • You pass an OCLT (ie overnight FC loss test shows a loss of 1.0 ppm or less);
  • And the water is clear.

You can add bleach now but it's going to burn off quickly because of the sun and not having any stabilizer in the pool

Thanks @aftrshok99. Going to go get some stabilizer, will get that up first, then bleach. How long does it normally take to raise the stabilizer? We're going to get away for about 36 hours starting tomorrow which I know isn't ideal but I'll leave the pump running.

Pump does need to run 24/7 while slaming. Just add the Cya in the sock and assume its there. Keep testing FC frequently about every 30-60 min and add accordingly to maintain 10-12ppm. After it starts to hold FC then you can test every 2-3 hrs. Dont worry about PH while in slam mode.

Felipe

Pump does need to run 24/7 while slaming. Just add the Cya in the sock and assume its there. Keep testing FC frequently about every 30-60 min and add accordingly to maintain 10-12ppm. After it starts to hold FC then you can test every 2-3 hrs. Dont worry about PH while in slam mode.

Felipe

Ah ok thanks- so don't wait on testing the CYA, just put it in- got it. I work from home so I can test/adjust as often as needed until tomorrow at least.

By chance do you have someone that you can show how to test and add chlorine while you are gone?

Not really- we just moved and don't really know anyone here, and our immediate neighbors are all older and I wouldn't want to ask. We may be able to pay our pet sitter to come do it if she was available- but probably only once or twice, how much of a difference would that make?

We're going to get away for about 36 hours starting tomorrow which I know isn't ideal but I'll leave the pump running.
Since you're going to be gone for the next day or two, I'd just wait on the SLAM. Any bleach you add now will be gone by the time you get back. No sense wasting bleach for a one-time increase. The water will be there when you get back..... and so will we. :) As for leaving the pump on, that's fine as long as you know the pressure won't go sky-high while you're away if left on "filter". With your sand filter, I'm assuming you have a multiport valve which you could just place on recirculate until you get back. That would solve that issue while allowing water to keep moving.

PS ~ Don't forget to update your signature for us so we see your pool and equipment on each post. :goodjob:

By the way .... welcome to TFP! :wave:

Since you're going to be gone for the next day or two, I'd just wait on the SLAM. Any bleach you add now will be gone by the time you get back. No sense wasting bleach for a one-time increase. The water will be there when you get back..... and so will we. :) As for leaving the pump on, that's fine as long as you know the pressure won't go sky-high while you're away if left on "filter". With your sand filter, I'm assuming you have a multiport valve which you could just place on recirculate until you get back. That would solve that issue while allowing water to keep moving.

PS ~ Don't forget to update your signature for us so we see your pool and equipment on each post. :goodjob:

By the way .... welcome to TFP! :wave:

Thank you! That definitely makes sense. The pressure has stayed low but I do feel a little uncomfortable leaving without knowing (especially since we did do the floc not long ago- wish I had come here earlier) so I like the recirculate idea! And I'm very glad I found this place, I felt like I was going crazy. Will update my sig!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok, little longer delay than I hoped for. Left the filter on recirculate while we were gone, SLAMing is starting today!

CYA is at 20- we added enough stabilizer it should've gotten to 30 but it's reading 20. Leave it alone, or try to up it?

FC reading was 0 after an hour this morning. In sunlight with 20 CYA that's normal right? It's cloudy enough right now you can see about halfway down, and it's been cleaned and vacced a few times so it's shouldn't be very dirty, just whatever algae is left.

Ok, little longer delay than I hoped for. Left the filter on recirculate while we were gone, SLAMing is starting today!

CYA is at 20- we added enough stabilizer it should've gotten to 30 but it's reading 20. Leave it alone, or try to up it?

FC reading was 0 after an hour this morning. In sunlight with 20 CYA that's normal right? It's cloudy enough right now you can see about halfway down, and it's been cleaned and vacced a few times so it's shouldn't be very dirty, just whatever algae is left.

It depends on how you added the CYA. If you didn't dissolve granules in a sock but put it in a skimmer, the granules could be in your filter and not yet dissolved. In that case it may not show up on test for potentially a few days.

It depends on how you added the CYA. If you didn't dissolve granules in a sock but put it in a skimmer, the granules could be in your filter and not yet dissolved. In that case it may not show up on test for potentially a few days.

It was added Friday in the skimmer. I planned to use the sock but.. let's just say there was a miscommunication. ;)

Good news is the FC is only dropping about 50% now (it's also cloudy out now). Bad news- found an ant colony next to the pool... with my feet. Ouch.

Welcome to the forum!

Which test kit are you using?

Got the Taylor K2006 :D When we first opened the pool I got strips, then kicked myself. I've had fish tanks for years and hate the strips for that, I'm not sure why I thought they'd be ok for a pool lol.

Still hanging in there. Still dropping overnight, but it's definitely way clearer, which is encouraging. CYA is actually reading 50 now so I suspect it must've just not been dissolved, and it may have been closer to 20 when I first started before we added enough to raise it to 30. I may drain a little and try to get it a little lower when this is done- we'll be on vacation for a few days and I was hoping to use pucks while we're gone but I don't really want the cya over 50 right?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.