Algae---Removing light niche, HELP!!

Jun 9, 2014
Charlotte, NC
I'm in middle of Slamming my pool for algae, this stuff just keeps returning no matter the high levels of chlorine & everything else I've done, even passing the overnight test, however, I've had enough of this so I got in the pool today for 3 hrs and scrubbed every nook and cranny I could find, including the area under the coping where the liner meets, I found a lot of our NC orange clay dirt in this area which I believe is what I've been seeing on the bottom of my pool for a couple yrs now, for the longest time I thought this was some form of algae on the floors but now believe it to be dirt, I scrubbed then got a hose on its strongest spray setting and sprayed every crack and gap, under the water and out, and every area that joined with another including the ladder, steps, and light niche. So much algae came from behind the light niche when I sprayed this area, when I saw this I knew this was my problem area for the past couple yrs. I planned to remove the niche last yr, never did & I now regret, so needless to say this will be my husbands first attempt, I don't want him to get electrocuted or anything so I just wanted to make sure that all he needs to do is cut the breaker before removing the screw and light niche?? i'm going to cut the breaker for the whole house to be on the safe side but once we do this can he get right in and pool it out?? And also since there is algae behind there should I let the light niche hang in the pool for awhile since I'm slamming, and if so for how long??? I'll of course make sure to scrub every square inch of the area the light sits in also. thanks for your help in advance.

Yes, turn-off the breaker to the pool light. Make sure the power is off, then he can remove the screw and retaining ring and the light should come out. Remove the light completely (still attached to cord of course) and set it up on the pool decking. Leave the power off because with the light out of the water, the bulb would burn out quickly from excessive heat. Leave the light out for a day or so as you clean and allow the bleach/chlorine to go to work. :) Inspect the retaining ring and/or gasket as sometimes they can show signs of wear.

Texas Splash, thanks for your reply--we got it pulled out and the lighting unit was sitting on top of a pile of green algae!! One last question if you can answer, we first started unscrewing, by accident, what I believe is the niche face plate (large plastic white ring w/multiple screws that surround the glass light), 7 of 10 screws were unscrewed before realizing that was not the right piece so we screwed those back in & removed the actual glass light fixture that has 1 screw, do you foresee this being a problem when we turn the power back on in case the niche face plate came loose when he unscrewed accidentally (referring to the large outer white ring with multiple screws as shown in picture )? Thanks in advance.View attachment 64718

I don't think it would be a problem. As you can see, water is expected to engulf the niche behind the light to keep it cool, but water should not be able to enter the area encasing the bulb itself. So as long as that seal is still intact, you should be okay. I don't have that particular light fixture, so perhaps we'll get confirmation from other viewers who might have that set-up.

That plastic ring with 10 screws in it is what seals the vinyl liner to the light niche via a gasket behind it. It does not affect the seal on the lamp itself however you should ensure they screws are "equally" tight to apply even pressure to the seal or a leak in the pool may develop.

That plastic ring with 10 screws in it is what seals the vinyl liner to the light niche via a gasket behind it. It does not affect the seal on the lamp itself however you should ensure they screws are "equally" tight to apply even pressure to the seal or a leak in the pool may develop.

dloki, THANKS FOR YOUR REPLY, AND FOR ANSWERING MY QUESTION. I'LL MAKE SURE THEY ARE EQUALLY TIGHT. THANKS AGAIN! :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.