White ring around pool

Jun 13, 2017
Surprise Arizona
Can someone tell me what this could be from looking at my levels? I've thought about bumping the CH up but I don't want to do anything with hardness until I know what the ring is from. Pool store almost refuse to sell me calcium chloride since the water in Az is hard to begin with. Everything has been triple checked with the TF-100. Thanks for any help!

FC-11.5
PH-7.5
TA-90
CH-200
CC-.5
CYA-130

3999ca40f5231e3eff9ffed9cb6601fb.jpg

8b4c0177e044587598078e439daa224e.jpg

I used to see something very similar in my pool on the tile line, but from your post looked and it's no longer there. I wonder if it's a possible side effect of too much stabilizer and elevated chlorine levels?

I used to have CYA over 200 and FC in double digits but have recently drained it to get my target. I also converted to SWCG so either of those might have played a role, it's clearly gone now.

What you want to do is straddle one or two of those pool noodles so it holds you at a comfortable height. Then go around the pool with a squirt bottle with 1:4 muriatic acid and water and spritz that line, then scrub with a nylon brush. I like one with a handle so my hands don't get near the acid. Then use a plastic cup or pitcher to slosh some pool water on to rinse it and move on. Really tough spots can get scrubbed off with a pumice stone. It sounds horrible and leaves heaps of grit behind that you'll need to vacuum up.

I used to see something very similar in my pool on the tile line, but from your post looked and it's no longer there. I wonder if it's a possible side effect of too much stabilizer and elevated chlorine levels?

I used to have CYA over 200 and FC in double digits but have recently drained it to get my target. I also converted to SWCG so either of those might have played a role, it's clearly gone now.

I was thinking the same about the Chlorine and CYA level. I just bought the submersible pump and hose.. just need to get the courage to partially drain during the summer here in AZ.

What you want to do is straddle one or two of those pool noodles so it holds you at a comfortable height. Then go around the pool with a squirt bottle with 1:4 muriatic acid and water and spritz that line, then scrub with a nylon brush. I like one with a handle so my hands don't get near the acid. Then use a plastic cup or pitcher to slosh some pool water on to rinse it and move on. Really tough spots can get scrubbed off with a pumice stone. It sounds horrible and leaves heaps of grit behind that you'll need to vacuum up.

Ok I can definitely try that.. nothing like having job to do while in the pool.. Thanks for the info!

The ring is due to the high evaporation rates in Arizona leaving behind any deposits in the water. There's virtually no way to eliminate them from happening. By keeping your pool in balance with a slightly negative CSI you can reduce it. It has nothing to do with the high CYA levels.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.