May 8, 2017
Buckingham PA
The pool has been great for the past couple of weeks

FC 5
CC 0.5
ph 7.6
TA 120
CYA 40

My question is how to maintain when we are away. We travel for work 3-5 days a week we are gone and I have no one to test and sanitize the water. During these times is it best to use the solid chlorine pucks in floaters? If so any suggestions as to the best place to purchase, how much to use for a 3 or 5 day trip and if there is anything else I should do prior to leaving to help keep things in check?

Thanks for your help.

I'd go for a Salt Water Chlorine Generator myself. Oh wait, I *have* one already, LOL! Duh. It allows me to go on vacations for weeks without worrying about the pool. I close the cover and zip! I'm gone! Never once had algae.

Just a thought. Or search on "Stenner pumps" for an alternative. Injects small amounts of chlorine bleach in the pool on a schedule. Works for some.

Maddie :flower:

The Salt Water Chlorine Generator is not in our budget this year or any year in the forseeable future. Happy to hear it works for you though, maybe sometime.

- - - Updated - - -

Putting the cover on and taking if off every week would be a little too much for me, thanks for the reply though.

Pucks are the easiest way to ensure there's chlorine in the pool while you're gone. However, you don't have a lot of room for more CYA so you won't be able to use them for long. Also note they're very acidic so you'll need to be sure the pH and TA aren't already near minimum before you drop a floater in. At present, you're good.

Yours is one of the few cases where I'd recommend some algaecide. Polyquat 60 is the stuff you want. It's pricey, but cheaper than all the bleach you'll need if you get an algae bloom.

A 3 day trip can probably be managed by filling the pool up to allow for evaporation and adding bleach to shock level. Longer trips will need the pucks.

I use a cheap floater that was rolling around in the shed when I bought the place. You can find them in Walmart for under ten bucks. The pucks you want will be plain trichlor. Don't buy any "multi-action" stuff, because those types usually include copper and clarifiers and other stuff you don't want to build up in your water. Read the labels or check out the MSDS if you see some secret agent pucks.

Pucks are the easiest way to ensure there's chlorine in the pool while you're gone. However, you don't have a lot of room for more CYA so you won't be able to use them for long. Also note they're very acidic so you'll need to be sure the pH and TA aren't already near minimum before you drop a floater in. At present, you're good.

Yours is one of the few cases where I'd recommend some algaecide. Polyquat 60 is the stuff you want. It's pricey, but cheaper than all the bleach you'll need if you get an algae bloom.

A 3 day trip can probably be managed by filling the pool up to allow for evaporation and adding bleach to shock level. Longer trips will need the pucks.

I use a cheap floater that was rolling around in the shed when I bought the place. You can find them in Walmart for under ten bucks. The pucks you want will be plain trichlor. Don't buy any "multi-action" stuff, because those types usually include copper and clarifiers and other stuff you don't want to build up in your water. Read the labels or check out the MSDS if you see some secret agent pucks.

Thank you, this is very helpful. I'll get some Polyquat 60 and make sure I check the TA and ph before a longer trip. I appreciate your time and suggestions.

I just got something called the HASA Liquidator, it allows you to use liquid chlorine in a container that feeds it into you plumbing, works like a in-line chlorinator but instead of using pucks, you use liquid chlorine. I only had it for 3 weeks and so far it works great.

I just got something called the HASA Liquidator, it allows you to use liquid chlorine in a container that feeds it into you plumbing, works like a in-line chlorinator but instead of using pucks, you use liquid chlorine. I only had it for 3 weeks and so far it works great.

Thank you, I will definitely look into this, sounds as though it may be a good solution for us, appreciate your suggestion. Did you find it locally or online, just curious? When trying to find a dealer on their site I didn't see anyone near us.

I could not find anyone local, I only wanted the 4-gallon which was very difficult to find. I know the 8-gallon is more readily available online.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.