Where does the Cl atom go?

BPKlein

Bronze Supporter
Jun 4, 2016
Lake Dallas, Texas
Hello,

just a a little curiosity. I probably could have dug around on the web a little longer to find the answer, but others on TFP might be curious too. I am not a chemist, this is going to make chemists cringe....

Scenario 1. I pour some sodium hypochlorite (bleach) in the pool to add chlorine. It is made up of 1 chlorine, 1 sodium, and 1 oxygen atom. The process of chlorination gasses off the oxygen atom and leaves behind salt. Correct? If this is correct, does the salt molecule remain intact?

Scenario 2. The SWCG electronically separates salt into 1 chlorine and 1 sodium atom. The chlorine does its job and is reunited with sodium atom to make salt again. Correct? If this is correct, where is the oxidation process? Is there one?

Yes, I'm bored while sipping coffee this morning watching the sun rise over the pool.

Bryan

Really? REALLY??! Its a beautiful Friday and THIS IS WHAT YOU"RE CONTEMPLATING?!?!?

The short answer is yes to both. But on #2 the oxidation is the chlorine breaking down the schmutz, not the process of breaking down into chlorine. I think???? I fully expect to be corrected by someone...somewhere... on this. Feh. I can take it.

<Maddie returns to contemplating her navel this early in the morning>

Hello,

just a a little curiosity. I probably could have dug around on the web a little longer to find the answer, but others on TFP might be curious too. I am not a chemist, this is going to make chemists cringe....

Scenario 1. I pour some sodium hypochlorite (bleach) in the pool to add chlorine. It is made up of 1 chlorine, 1 sodium, and 1 oxygen atom. The process of chlorination gasses off the oxygen atom and leaves behind salt. Correct? If this is correct, does the salt molecule remain intact?

Scenario 2. The SWCG electronically separates salt into 1 chlorine and 1 sodium atom. The chlorine does its job and is reunited with sodium atom to make salt again. Correct? If this is correct, where is the oxidation process? Is there one?

Yes, I'm bored while sipping coffee this morning watching the sun rise over the pool.

Bryan

The chemistry details are all in this thread - Pool Water Chemistry

@JoyfulNoise, Matt,

Do you know if there is a post somewhere as detailed about bromine water chemistry?

Thanks,
Michael

No because bromine is not really used much in pools.

The thing to remember about bromine is that the pKa of hypobromous acid is a lot higher than the pKa of hypochlorous acid and so most of the bromine is in the form of hypobromous acid. Hypobromous acid levels are also more sensitive to changes in pH because there is no highly effective bromine buffer/stabilizer like there is for chlorine, i.e., cyanuric acid. Because DMH is a poor buffer and offers very little protection against UV, active bromine levels will change more rapidly than active chlorine levels do.

However, hypobromous acid is very similar to hypochlorous acid in its oxidizing and sanitizing capabilities. So it can be an effective sanitizer for hot tubs if it is properly maintained.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.